Unable to install Invoice V5 (v5.0.31-release) FTP

Hi, I downloaded and unzipped by FTP the V5 v5.0.31-release than when I load my subsomain invoice.domain.ext I see the setup wizard correctly but seems the wizard never work.

Also if database data are correct test fail, same for the email SMTP configuration and If I try to continue by submitting with the blue button no error but the page is simply reset and showed again.

No error on server error logs.

Apache, PHP 7.4, Mysql 5.7

I see Mysql details are saved on .env file correctly, I think.
I tried also to remove special character from database password but the issue persist.

I think Wizard is not helping me on understanding what is wrong also nothing work, email settings, Mysql connection, etc.

If you reach setup you can get more useful help from storage/logs/laravel.log

1 Like

Thanks for the answer.

production.INFO: SQLSTATE[HY000] [1045] Access denied for user '***'@'localhost' (using password: YES) (SQL: select * from information_schema.tables where table_schema = *** and table_name = migrations and table_type = 'BASE TABLE')

[2020-12-03 11:11:46] production.DEBUG: Message-ID: <***45@invoice.domain..ext>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2020 11:11:46 +0000
Subject: Email
To: sistema@domain.ext
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
 boundary="_=_swift_160699a6037c12_=_"

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" style="box-sizing: border-box; border: 0 solid #d2d6dc; -webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%; font-family: Open Sans,system-ui,-apple-system,BlinkMacSystemFont,Segoe UI,Roboto,Helvetica Neue,Arial,Noto Sans,sans-serif,Apple Color Emoji,Segoe UI Emoji,Segoe UI Symbol,Noto Color Emoji; line-height: 1.5;">
<head style="box-sizing: border-box; border: 0 solid #d2d6dc;">
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0" style="box-sizing: border-box; border: 0 solid #d2d6dc;">
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" style="box-sizing: border-box; border: 0 solid #d2d6dc;">
</head>
<body style="border: 0 solid #d2d6dc; font-family: Avenir, Helvetica, sans-serif; box-sizing: border-box; background-color: #f5f8fa; color: #74787E; height: 100%; hyphens: auto; line-height: 1.4; margin: 0; -moz-hyphens: auto; -ms-word-break: break-all; width: 100% !important; -webkit-hyphens: auto; -webkit-text-size-adjust: none; word-break: break-word;">
<style style="box-sizing: border-box; border: 0 solid #d2d6dc;">
@media  only screen and (max-width: 600px) {
.inner-body {
width: 100% !important;
}

.footer {
}
}

@media  only screen and (max-width: 500px) {
.button {
}
}
</style>
<table class="wrapper" width="100%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" style="border: 0 solid #d2d6dc; border-collapse: collapse; font-family: Avenir, Helvetica, sans-serif; box-sizing: border-box; background-color: #f5f8fa; margin: 0; padding: 0; width: 100%; -premailer-cellpadding: 0; -premailer-cellspacing: 0; -premailer-width: 100%;"><tr style="box-sizing: border-box; border: 0 solid #d2d6dc;">
<td align="center" style="border: 0 solid #d2d6dc; font-family: Avenir, Helvetica, sans-serif; box-sizing: border-box;">
<table class="content" width="100%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" style="border: 0 solid #d2d6dc; border-collapse: collapse; font-family: Avenir, Helvetica, sans-serif; box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0; padding: 0; width: 100%; -premailer-cellpadding: 0; -premailer-cellspacing: 0; -premailer-width: 100%;">
<!-- Email Body --><tr style="box-sizing: border-box; border: 0 solid #d2d6dc;">
<td class="body" width="100%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" style="border: 0 solid #d2d6dc; font-family: Avenir, Helvetica, sans-serif; box-sizing: border-box; background-color: #FFFFFF; border-bottom: 1px solid #EDEFF2; border-top: 1px solid #EDEFF2; margin: 0; padding: 0; width: 100%; -premailer-cellpadding: 0; -premailer-cellspacing: 0; -premailer-width: 100%;">
<table class="inner-body" align="center" width="570" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" style="border: 0 solid #d2d6dc; border-collapse: collapse; font-family: Avenir, Helvetica, sans-serif; box-sizing: border-box; background-color: #FFFFFF; margin: 0 auto; padding: 0; width: 570px; -premailer-cellpadding: 0; -premailer-cellspacing: 0; -premailer-width: 570px;">
<!-- Body content --><tr style="box-sizing: border-box; border: 0 solid #d2d6dc;">
<td class="content-cell" style="border: 0 solid #d2d6dc; font-family: Avenir, Helvetica, sans-serif; box-sizing: border-box; padding: 35px;">
<p style="border: 0 solid #d2d6dc; margin: 0; font-family: Avenir, Helvetica, sans-serif; box-sizing: border-box; color: #74787E; font-size: 16px; line-height: 1.5em; margin-top: 0; text-align: left;">Email Server Works!</p>

With database user and password Iā€™M able to login in phpmyadmin so credentials are correct.

Now I tried to try again the install but when load address I see 500 error. How I can reset and retry the setup? I think this will not help.

Waiting news from you to understand why Iā€™M unable to setup with the wizard.
Thanks

This time the setup has success.

The issue was probably caused by the fact of point to the direct domain like invoice.mydomain.ext where wizard was showed instead of point to invoice.mydomain.ext/setup so maybe a bug or an issue that can be fixed improved by developers.

Now the issues are:

• The version 5 has issue working on Firefox. not working with Firefox only with Chrome. (not resolved)

• The login as for Secret and never let me login. What Secret code I need insert? (resolved)

• If I run V5 under PHP 7.3 I get: Composer detected issues in your platform: Your Composer dependencies require a PHP version ">= 7.4.0". (solution for this found)

• How to log-out once logged in? (resolved)

• Hot to change email settings? There is no way to do in the interface if password email reset is not sent? I get error 500, now Iā€™m able to login but Iā€™m unable to find where can fix email settings issues.(not resolved)

I was able to resolve email issue editing .env file.

Hi,

• Can you explain the problem youā€™re seeing in Firefox, are you using the latest version?

• You can change the email settings by editing the .env file and then running php artisan optimize

Sometimes works on Firefox, sometimes not. Seems in Firefox buttons and menĆ¹ are simply frozen.
Maybe I need do a GIF video to show you as I tested in incognito and in two different Firefox versions.

Iā€™m now using Chrome but is not my preferred browser.
Now my install work except Iā€™m unable to see all data migrated the V5 and this is the last big issue I need to resolve.

First time the data import was done partially so I erased all company and run the setup again, now I asked to import from V4 and a message say I will be informed by email. I never been informed by email and if I open V5 I see two untitled company but is all empty.

If you can help me to understand what steps need to do to migrate all data to V5 and why I see is created an untitled company but still be empty also after different minutes and no email alert about end of migrationā€¦ I will be happy. Thanks for the help!

Actually I erased V5 completely, reupload and still having the start issue that setup never work: unable to connect to database also PDF test doesnā€™t work.

I have no idea what has to make the setup work. I compile and when submit the setup return blank from zero.

Can you check that your v4 app is running the latest version (4.5.23), the last few versions were all migration fixes.

Yes I have 4.5.23
I start the migration than I see Untitled Company is created but language is English is all empty not in euros but $ and no client or other data imported.

Can you please check your logs for v5? Theyā€™re in storage/logs/laravel.log file.

production.INFO: SQLSTATE[23000]: Integrity constraint violation: 1048 Column 'status_id' cannot be null (SQL: insert into `recurring_invoices` (`status_id`, `discount`, `is_amount_discount`, `po_number`, `number`, `footer`, `terms`, `public_notes`, `private_notes`, `date`, `due_date`, `partial_due_date`, `is_deleted`, `line_items`, `tax_name1`, `tax_rate1`, `tax_name2`, `tax_rate2`, `custom_value1`, `custom_value2`, `custom_value3`, `custom_value4`, `amount`, `balance`, `partial`, `user_id`, `company_id`, `frequency_id`, `last_sent_date`, `next_send_date`, `remaining_cycles`, `uses_inclusive_taxes`, `client_id`, `design_id`, `tax_name3`, `tax_rate3`, `created_at`, `updated_at`, `deleted_at`, `due_date_days`) values (?, 0.00, 0, , , NON VALIDA COME FATTURA - NOT VALID AS INVOICE

Questo ĆØ un riassunto di quanto dovuto e pagato, non ĆØ valido come documento e non ha valore fiscale., , , , 2017-10-25, 1998-01-05, ?, 0, [{"quantity":1,"cost":800,"product_key":"Locazione Abitativa San Maurizio Fraz Ceretta","notes":"Affitto Immobile Abitativo","discount":0,"tax_name1":"","tax_rate1":0,"tax_name2":"","tax_rate2":0,"tax_name3":"","tax_rate3":0,"date":"2017-10-25","custom_value1":"","custom_value2":"","type_id":"1","is_amount_discount":false,"sort_id":"0","line_total":0,"custom_value3":"","custom_value4":""},{"quantity":1,"cost":180,"product_key":"Spese","notes":"Spese","discount":0,"tax_name1":"","tax_rate1":0,"tax_name2":"","tax_rate2":0,"tax_name3":"","tax_rate3":0,"date":"2017-10-25","custom_value1":"","custom_value2":"","type_id":"1","is_amount_discount":false,"sort_id":"0","line_total":0,"custom_value3":"","custom_value4":""}], , 0.000, , 0.000, 0.00, 0.00, , , 980.00, 980.00, 0.00, 1, 2, 5, 2018-03-01, 2018-04-01, 42, 0, 3, 9, , 0, 2017-10-25 00:00:00.000000, 2018-04-11 00:00:00.000000, 2018-04-11, 05))  
[2020-12-04 10:58:48] production.DEBUG: Message-ID: <9123e0c5f1c28a122d29a1748fe077b6@swift.generated>

Data imported but miss expense, recurring invoice, etc.

Also Invoice are imported (not recurring invoice, etc) but also payment are not imported. I see all paid invoice with import 0 ā‚¬ when is paid and should see the paid import.

Also the image logo doesnā€™t work, if you upload or import a logo did not work.

Now I have no data imported because I reset all and Iā€™m unable to see imported data. All time is only created Untitled company without any data. ā€œWhen worksā€ the first time client and invoice was there but many data lost: no payment visible in invoices, no recurring invoice, no expensesā€¦

Until Iā€™m not able to see all imported I cannot delete the old invoice and upgrade my server to PHP 7.4

@peopleinside

It sounds like a few issues going on.

1. file / logo upload. If you cannot upload logo typically this means permissions error. public/storage must be writable by the web server user (typically www-data)

2. Migration sounds like it is failing somewhere. There should be an error when/if it fails in V5 logs storage/logs/laravel.log

I cannot install V5 by SSH so upload by FTP.
Can I have maybe necessary folder permission need to edit? Only public_storage?

I donā€™t get an error when upload avatar just is blank avatar, empty.

If Iā€™m unable, with your help, to resolve the migration issue, I cannot migrate to V5 and than I cannot upgrade my PHP to 7.4 as Invoice Ninja is the one app I have not compatible with PHP 7.4

I inserted the log in the previous message, is this not sufficient? Must retry again and paste the full log file?
Will be sure to share here in public?

Also I cannot use Firefox too much issue in V5, seems support only Chrome not Firefoxā€¦ but the biggest problem is now how to solve the migration issue.

The storage/ and public/ folders must be writable by the webserver user recursively.

As i mentioned, it sounds like the migration failed at some point, hence why a lot of your data wasnā€™t migrated. From the error it looks like the recurring invoice status_id hasnā€™t resolved correctly. If you can look in your V4 Database and advise the invoice_status_id that may help.

@david thanks for the reply and the help: I appreciate that!

The storage/ and public/ folders must be writable by the webserver user recursively.

Permission 755 to storage and public should be fine?
I want be sure permission are set correctly so I can retry to fix with your help and all set fine.
I checked and public and storage has 755 so permission seems to be correct for this two folders so seems is not this the cause of the issue with logo.

Also I removed folder and database and uploaded the latest invoiceninja.
The setup page did not work show error on PDF test and database connection. Even if I did not setup the app by submitting the wizard I can see in logs:

[2020-12-04 23:52:39] production.INFO: db fails  
[2020-12-05 10:19:25] production.INFO: db fails  

As i mentioned, it sounds like the migration failed at some point, hence why a lot of your data wasnā€™t migrated. From the error it looks like the recurring invoice status_id hasnā€™t resolved correctly. If you can look in your V4 Database and advise the invoice_status_id that may help.

Iā€™m happy to check this for you. Iā€™m inside the database but how to find invoice_status_id?

I see now there is an update but also this fails.
noupdate invoicev5

LOGS:

https://justpaste.it/6gzcr

Consider I run also Grav in my server, Grav is a CMS that update components from the CMS. I had no issue only your software V5 still have a lot of issue to me.

• Firefox issue
  • Setup Wizard issues: get Server error when test PDF, database connection, etc
  • Unable to import from V4 because of errors
  • Unable to update the V5 to a new version

Hey there!

You can find ā€˜invoice_status_idā€™ in the ā€˜invoicesā€™ table.

I see various invoice. Status is 6, 2 and 1 different row with different status.
V4.

If you say the issue is the recurring invoice I can delete the only one recurring invoice I have and try again the migration but now another new issue has come: Invoice V5 never update because server error so I cannot use the migration tools.

One test for understand if I can trust V5 is to see if Iā€™m able to update and also the update function seems broken for me. Server error as you can see in my previous reply.

Iā€™m asking if I will be able to resolve all this issues with you and see V5 simply work

• Are you using the latest version of Firefox? Do you see the same problem in the demo (https://demo.invoiceninja.com)? If you use mac or Linux maybe use the desktop app instead.

• I think the update may not work on shared hosting due to its dependency on Git, if thatā€™s the case youā€™ll need to manually copy over the new version instead.

The demo today and at the moment seems work well.
Issues start from the login where buttons never works and cursor stay frozen on field but in the demo all this is not present as there is no login.

I think the update may not work on shared hosting due to its dependency on Git, if thatā€™s the case youā€™ll need to manually copy over the new version instead.

Iā€™m not in a shared hosting, I manage a VPS.
Where I can find instruction on how to update by FTP?

Again I use Grav CMS and has the updated function integrated and all work fine.
I think the app is not updating for the same or similar error that show in setup Wizard server error everywhere when test email and database connection.

I never understand why but the error sometimes disappear.

I have composer can I use by SSH or need the slow FTP?
Instruction about how update by FTP or composer?

What distro is your host?

Updating ā€˜manuallyā€™ is like installing, just backup your .env and put it back after clean installing updated version from invoiceninja.zip for Ubuntu based, or source for others.

Then just skip steps about artisan key:generate, rerun any composer or npm commands you need to install, and paste your .env backup, chown nginx, and php artisan optimize.

The .env is everything you need to save from the program path there. And the only thing you need to rebuild it again, aside from your db, on basically any version compatible with the db tables.

I workaround the field cursor issues with pressing a different field, then the original field again, then the field I want. It also doesnā€™t work with user/password auto complete form filling from password manager like bitwarden.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. Iā€™m on Centos 8.
I will try to manually update but will be nice understand with the developer team why the new version V5 has so many issues on my side. I like the design but the experience is terrible I meanā€¦ very hard for me make it workā€¦ I see issues everywhere. Was more easy to use the old version but as never support PHP 7.4 and also will be no more get update need to upgrade.

Hope to be able to solve issue and to be not forced to leave InvoiceNinja.

Invoiceninja is big so updating by FTP will take an exaggerated time. Iā€™m unhappy to see the automated update doesnā€™t work.

Letā€™s try to update and once done maybe I will have the migration issue still be the sameā€¦ Letā€™s test.
I will try to update here.
Thanks.