I was only running the previous version of V4.5.16, but again, I do not thing that this was anything missing in the actually package. I believe this had occured due to some corruption in my previous installation as I had some other very anomalous errors which I did not report, because I believed that something got corrupt when I started installing new Web App Sites on the same host, this caused a number of problems originally with my apache2 configuration, which also at one point caused some corruption in the DocumentRoot as I mistakenly set system default ServerRoot to Invoice Ninjas DocumentRoot in the /etc/apache2/apache2.conf. While I thought the ServerRoot just stated where the apache2 modules and all live, it seemed to have done something a little nutty, and to be honest, I do not what to try it again to find out what it did. However, This did not go over well… While I did notice the mistake fairly quickly, my Invoice Ninja while usable, and functional for the most part, some pages were a bit screwy, the Invoice Designer wouldn’t work, and a few other weird issues.
I had been wanting to upgrade since I first started seeing the messages about the 4.5.17 version being available, however, I am not an fan of cron which also means that in my nearly 2 decades as a Web Systems Admin, I have avoided leaning it. The other problem was the the Support documentation on how to kick off an update on Invoice Ninja, is certainly not for anyone who is a newbie. I found the instructions to be extremely minimal, and not very informational. It does suggest that you use the update script, and that you place that script to run daily in cron but it gives no examples of how you would do this or how you can kick off the script or the cron.daily entries to run on demand. Thankfully I spent a fairly decent amount of time researching how to do all of these things on Google today, so once I got all of my questions answered, I created the cron…daily entry and then used a command to force it to kick off at that moment. I then cleared the cache, and Invoice Ninja was happily upgraded, and all of the gremlins have disappeared!
If I could make one recommendation to whom ever maintains the documentation for the Upgrade instructions, it would be to please provide a more detailed explanation of how to manually run the update, and then a detailed explanation with perhaps an example cron entry to show how best to setup the script to run in the daily cron.
Another useful thing that I did, is that since it does not appear that the upgrade creates the cache when it finishes the update, do when I made my cron entry, I have the script redirecting its output to a file, and then use postfix mail server to email me the results, this way I can see if there was an update, and if their was I can run the command to clear the cache. When I have some more time, I am going to actually make it a little smarter where it will only send me an email if there was an update, and not to send one if there wasn’t. Then when I am super bored, I will take that yet one step further and have the cron entry for the update script configure, I will add some smarts do that it will know if an update occurred, and if so, it will manually run the clear cache for then send me an email when all of that is complete, and I will know when the newest version is online, but I wont have to worry about having to manually run the clear cache. This will help so that if an update occurs while a client is using the system ,we can be sure that he is not having to deal with anything old in the cache which could cause them problems.
Thank you for following up!