What accounting software are people using and how good is the export feature from IN to use importing to other software?

I did search and found several old threads but most of them only had a response or two and were not thorough, so I figured I’d start a new topic.

I understand Invoice Ninja is not an accounting program, and never will be, and that’s okay. I like what I’m seeing as far as an invoicing front end for both myself and my clients. However, I do still need accounting software, obviously!

So, what software have people had success using? How much tweaking have you had to do with CSV exports for your specific software? I don’t mind manually exporting a CSV and importing into my accounting software, it doesn’t have to be automatic. It DOES however, need to WORK WELL. Items sold posting to the correct internal accounts, sales taxes to the correct agency, etc.

I know I can’t be the only one needing this. I also know I can’t be the only one trying to avoid QuickBooks (otherwise I would just use that, and their invoicing…).

Currently, I’m looking at Manager.io as an accounting software. The software seems good overall, but their invoicing is pretty poor for US-based businesses (better for EU and other places). So, I’m fine with using two separate pieces of software, as long as they can talk to each other, even if that process is manual.

Any suggestions? Let’s have an accounting software discussion!

Thanks in advance!

I’ve used them all…

• invoiceninja is good enough if you just want to track expenses and income received (cash basis accounting). It’s easy to export tax paid etc. reports.
  • I’ve tried several other accounting softwares including managerio, for me they either don’t have that ONE feature or report I need or lack scaling and they lock you in… So I just use quickbooks! after all it’s the most popular, lets me customize everything and has every feature you’d think of. Its also what accountants use and is designed for Canada / USA tax systems and includes payroll… after using another obscure DIY install software I was forced to switch because needed payroll. I don’t know any other businesses getting away with using a free accounting software that meets their needs.
1 Like

I don’t mind if the accounting software is paid, as long as it’s not an ongoing subscription. I also want something self-hosted if at all possible, which is another great thing about IN and Manager.

The reason Manager.io does not work for me for invoices is that their sales tax rates are per-item only. I want to set the rate per invoice (or automatically filled set per client). QuickBooks invoices are fine, and this is one thing QuickBooks really gets right, but QB Desktop doesn’t allow me to import from my bank anymore. I refuse to subscribe to their online version. It isn’t even (entirely) about cost, it’s about how they do business and will screw you over at any moment after locking you in. So, I am looking for a new accounting solution. Invoice Ninja invoices are better than QuickBooks anyways. However, if I am going to switch to a different paid online accounting software, I’ll just choose one with good invoicing features and use the invoices on it.

I hadn’t considered using Invoice Ninja for expenses and accounting… that might actually work for me, as I do run on cash basis. Have you used it successfully for a full year and done taxes based on the reports it gives?

I hadn’t considered using Invoice Ninja for expenses and accounting… that might actually work for me, as I do run on cash basis. Have you used it successfully for a full year and done taxes based on the reports it gives?

Yes 1 yr ago I did all the expenses in invoiceninja, and recorded all income as invoices, then at the end of the tax year went in and reported the amounts. Was able to see all the totals, and totals per client etc. very easily.

I will have to try importing and inputting expenses and see if it is sufficient for me. It very well could be. Worth a try.

I’m using GnuCash, as it’s open source as well. I tried to sync both apps with CSV files, but it didn’t work properly, so I’m doing it manually.

GnuCash won’t work for me for all of the reasons laid out in this post (it’s not my post, but all of those reasons are why I can’t use it either):

https://www.reddit.com/r/GnuCash/comments/o4s1bx/im_starting_to_see_the_serious_limitations_built/

1 Like