V5.3.79 - No longer getting update notifications

Hi,

For some unknown reason, I no longer get updates notifications. This has started a while ago on a previous version (last time the updates notifications worked was around 5.2.x IIRC), but I didn’t report it at the time, since I thought it may eventually be fixed, but apparently the notifications never came back, so here I am, reporting this.

My cron jobs appear to work properly and when I try to the “force update” setting in IN, it tells me that I’m running the latest version - which right now is not true since I just checked Github and the latest version is .80, whereas I’m running .79.

I tried anyway to force the update through the interface and I got

FormatException: Unexpected character (at character 1)
<html><head><title>500 Internal Server Error</title></head><body>
^

When I do manual updates (unzip source code → php artisan optimize), everything works fine, though.

Did something change with the update checks in the past few months?

Thanks

Hi,

Are there any details about the 500 error in storage/logs?

cc @david

Nope, nothing logged at all!

@charles

It has been a while since we have pushed a release, and the self host systems only check once per day for the latest version.

The self-updater has changed since 5.3.78, it only consists of 5 lines now:

$this->testWritable(); //check the filesystem is writable

copy($this->getDownloadUrl(), storage_path('app/invoiceninja.zip')); //copy release to local system

$file = Storage::disk('local')->path('invoiceninja.zip');

$zipFile = new \PhpZip\ZipFile();

$zipFile->openFile($file); // open zip file

$zipFile->extractTo(base_path()); // extract and overwrite files

$zipFile->close();

unlink($file); //delete release

It may be a platform issue that is not allowing the system to download the release file?

And whats happen with docker version? Will show notifications of new versions?

@sasax.

For Docker, you only have to do

docker-compose down
docker-compose pull
docker-compose up

Thats it!

Tanks for the details! It might be related to a platform issue, indeed. I guess I’ll have to eventually upgrade my shared server to a VPS to get the most out of IN.