Unknown Bank notice in Client Portal when adding bank routing number

First off, thank you to Hillel and everyone else for creating and continuing to develop InvoiceNinja. It’s been an indispensable tool for running my business.

I’m using the self hosted version of InvoiceNinja installed with Softaculous. I’ve also purchased a white label license, in case that’s somehow playing into something. Current version is 4.5.17, but I’ve been troubleshooting for a while now and I may have been experiencing the issue a couple versions back.

I’m having an issue where when a client wants to make a payment using ACH (via Stripe), when inputting their routing number, it always says “Unknown Bank”. I’ve tested it myself with test invoices and have tried multiple different banks and routing numbers and I also get a message saying “Unknown Bank” right under the routing number field. It seems like you can continue to pay with ACH despite the “Unknown Bank” message, but I would love to have a solution so clients don’t get worried about this notice.

My issue sounds exactly like the one described here, which doesn’t have a specific solution: https://www.invoiceninja.com/forums/topic/client-portal-bank-verification/

I looked at the source file that contains the routing numbers, as Hillel suggested (https://raw.githubusercontent.com/invoiceninja/invoiceninja/master/app/Ninja/PaymentDrivers/FedACHdir.txt) and all of the banks I tried are included here.

Here’s some of the basic things I’ve tried in order to fix the issue:

• Reinstalling InvoiceNinja with Softaculous
  • Reinstalling InvoiceNinja manually without Softaculous
  • Installing InvoiceNinja on a completely different hosting account (same host though)
  • Tried playing around with different PHP versions (currently set to 7.0.33)
  • Looked through the laravel error log (domain.com/storage/logs/laravel-error.log), but I don’t see anything recent, despite my testing, or anything that seems related

Maybe I’m missing something obvious. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

Sorry, I’m not sure. Typically when this is reported it’s because the routing number isn’t in the known list.

Thanks Hillel for your quick response. I’ll keep playing around or maybe I’ll just hide the “Unknown Bank” notice altogether so that my clients don’t get worried. If anyone else has thoughts, feel free to let me know. If I end up finding out what’s causing this, I’ll post it here, in case someone else is experiencing the same thing.

That would be great, thanks!