Trying to try out V5 AND self-host in a VM

i have just gotten familiar with Invoice Ninja after using Quicken 2014 for years in a WinXP VM (virtualbox). i am using an auto-installed version on Hostinger shared hosting. they only have up to version 4. i am interested in version 5 mostly for its Linux desktop app. so i followed this guide https://www.linuxbabe.com/ubuntu/install-invoiceninja-ubuntu-20-04-apache-nginx to install in a fresh Ubuntu 20 VM. i got it working, SSL and everything. now i want to upgrade to version 5. i downloaded the latest and got NGINX pointed in the right place i think, but got stalled at "Composer detected issues in your platform: Your Composer dependencies require a PHP version “>= 7.3.0” and thats all. i know that previous Invoice Ninja wanted PHP 7.2 and i installed both 7.2 (from the guide) and when i run PHP -VERSION i get 7.4.9 so i know thats there too but how do i tell NGINX to use 7.4?

Hi,

To upgrade to v5 you need to install the app separately and then use the migration tool in v4 on Settings > Account Management. v4 did not support PHP 7.4 whereas v5 does.

Sorry, I don’t know how to set the NGINX PHP version.

i see. if i manage to get V5 installed separately do you know if it will import V4 JSON backups? that way i can just transfer from one VM to the other.

It won’t work, you need to use the migration tool.