Tried to install v5 on self-hosted shared server

I attempted to get v5 uploaded and then set up the other day and somehow, not sure how as the upload was to a different folder, settings for v4 were badly messed up and required my host to do a restore to get me back into v4.

For starters, I unzipped the files on my pc and uploaded them via ftp. While doing this, for whatever reason, I was told of multiple overwrites of files in the main folder being uploaded to.

Secondly, after the upload finished a few hours later, I got to the set up page, but my settings weren’t verifying.

Url is: https://ninja.fa-ct.com/invoiceninja/public/ If I don’t give the folder name, I’ll be telling set up to mess up the existing v4 install again under the same subdomain. So my question here, because it wouldn’t pass verification, is what the url is supposed to look like with or without the /public?

Driver MySQL

Host* 10.200.101.5
Port* 3306 My cpanel interface doesn’t tell me the port to use, so do I leave this here, or remove it? The field is starred so removing it causes the field to highlight.

Database* fact_ninj21
Username* fact_ninj115
Password will stay the same because instructions say logins need to be identical for the migration to occur.

The database settings would not verify either.

I need to know what the overwrites are all about in the initial ftp upload step, because I did not choose folders or files individually, I told the entire folder to copy to the host, subfolders etc included in the mass upload.

Then I need to use the correct settings to get things verified on the set up page before I can continue set up and then the migration.

All this has to happen without messing up my v4 install a second time!

Hi,

To upgrade from v4 you need to install v5 as a separate app and then use the migration tool in the latest version of v4 on Settings > Account Management.

You missed what I was saying. I know about the migration and about the separate installs for v4 and v5. Please reread what I am having issues with.

Well, is not clear at all what you write. Please try to rephrase or post some error logs

I’ll wait for someone else to respond. What I wrote is perfectly clear.

2 points:

1. You cannot get overwrites if you are doing a clean installation of version 5 because there are no files to overwrite.

This can only happen if you are ftp’ing to somewhere in the v4 installation folder tree

You need to tell us the precise folder structure of v4 and the folder you are ftp’ing v5 into.

1. With respect, your initial posting is not “perfectly clear” as you claim. If it was, others would have responded before now and you would probably have your answer, And your last posting was rude which will annoy the community and nobody will want to help - why do you think you’ve had no response for 19 hours? I fully appreciate your frustration but sugar is a lot sweeter than vinegar!
1 Like

All anyone has to do is read paragraph by paragraph. If my response was seen as rude, then people are insisting on living in soundbite culture and I do NOT! I don’t sugarcoat anything. The problem is the problem, and I spelled out what was happening. Just read paragraph by paragraph to follow along.

I’ll copy and paste my own post and spell it out even more, that will mean even more to read. Anyone who doesn’t like reading will probably take even more offense because now they have to read MORE!

I attempted to get v5 uploaded and then set up the other day and somehow, not sure how as the upload was to a different folder, settings for v4 were badly messed up and required my host to do a restore to get me back into v4. This has been fixed. v4 is working now.

For starters, I unzipped the files on my pc and uploaded them via ftp. While doing this, for whatever reason, I was told of multiple overwrites of files in the main folder being uploaded to.
The main folder being ninja/invoiceninja as opposed to ninja/ninja where v4 is located.

Secondly, after the upload finished a few hours later, I got to the set up page, but my settings weren’t verifying.

These are the set up fields I want clarification on:

Url is: https://ninja.fa-ct.com/invoiceninja/public/ If I don’t give the folder name, I’ll be telling set up to mess up the existing v4 install again under the same subdomain because v4 is installed in the folder that created the subdomain: ie: fa-ct.com/ninja, so I state the folder name which is /invoiceninja.
So my question here, because it wouldn’t pass verification, is what the url is supposed to look like with or without the /public?

Next field on the set up page:
Driver MySQL

Host* 10.200.101.5

Port* 3306 My cpanel interface doesn’t tell me the port to use, so do I leave this here, or remove it? The field is starred so removing it causes the field to highlight.

Database* fact_ninj21
Username* fact_ninj115 Password of this user will stay the same as it is for the v4 database because instructions say logins need to be identical for the migration to occur.

The database settings would not verify either.

I need to know what the overwrites are all about in the initial ftp upload step, because I did not choose folders or files individually, I told the entire folder to copy to the host, subfolders etc included in the mass upload. Filezilla gives you an upload play by play and spells out the location being overwritten and each time it was the invoiceninja main folder, NOT the ninja v4 folder. To grab screenshots of this I would need to restart the upload all over again.

Then I need to use the correct settings to get things verified on the set up page before I can continue set up and then the migration.

All this has to happen without messing up my v4 install a second time!