Self-hosted V.4 - php upgrade

Hi there,

I am running self-hosted 4.5.40; in preparation to an eventual upgrade to v.5, I wanted to get the latest v.4 running and used the well-known script to carry on the upgrade; it seems to complete without any issues. When I connect to my instance, now I am getting

Composer detected issues in your platform: Your Composer dependencies require a PHP version “>= 7.3.0”.

and, surely, composer.json has

“php”: “>=7.3.0”,

whereas this installation so far was using 7.2. The system is

uname -a

Linux debstr 4.9.0-16-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.272-2 (2021-07-19) x86_64 GNU/Linux

cat /etc/debian_version


Any recommended way of going on with this in the context of InvoiceNinja 4?


Are you using Docker?

No, I followed - years ago - the recipé for the installation, it has been working fine for a long time. The system is actually an XCP-NG guest, I have at least two backups and can restore, but obviously prefer to update to the latest version in order to eventually try again the move to version 5 (I tried a few months ago that, but wasn’t able to import the data, saw that there were quite a few discussions about this and decided to wait a bit until the dust is settled).

Ok, upgrading to PHP 7.3 should resolve the problem

Thanks, I managed eventually to carry on the upgrade. For the record, in case someone else got stuck the same way, I had to update the php repo (the key deletion is important):

rm /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/php.gpg
apt-key del 95BD4743
wget -O /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/php.gpg

I then did apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -y .

Then I had to switch to php7.3:

a2dismod php7.2 && a2enmod php7.3

There were still php modules to install, though - I had to

apt install php7.3 libapache2-mod-php7.3 php7.3-common php7.3-gmp php7.3-curl php7.3-intl php7.3-mbstring php7.3-xmlrpc php7.3-mysql php7.3-gd php7.3-xml php7.3-cli php7.3-zip

And finally I had to edit the php.ini file (/etc/php/7.3/apache2/php.ini) with the changes suggested by the recipé.

So the switch from 4.5.40 to 4.5.46 was a little more involved than running the upgrade script.