Reserved Keywords / Zapier

After migrating to V5, it looks like reserved keywords aren’t being translated properly to Zapier. In V4, if reserved keywords were used, the actual values were passed on to Zapier. Now we’re just getting the keywords.

Can this be fixed?

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 11.25.24 AM

Also, is there any way to account for the following keyword operation when it runs on January 1?

:MONTH-1 :YEAR

We autobill in arrears on the 1st of the month, and this combination works great 11 months of the year. However, on 1/1 invoices it translates to “December [current year]”, when ideally it should be “December [previous year]”. Any way to do this without having to manually adjust all of the January invoices?

Perhaps the creation of a :PREVIOUS_MONTH_YEAR keyword that would include the previous month and year for that month?

Hi,

@david are these variables supported in the public notes field?

@hillel yes :MONTH and others are rendered in Public Notes

https://invoiceninja.github.io/docs/recurring-invoices/#reserved-keywords-in-the-items-description

I think I misread the original post, what do you mean by ‘reserved word’

@david I think the question about dates is handling +/- one month in December or January and changing the year.

The system does handle overflows so :MONTH - :MONTH+1 in December will produce

December - January

Same for :MONTHYEAR

December 2021 - January 2022

1 Like

@hillel I’m just using Invoice Ninja’s terminology here from the the User Guide: Free Source Available Invoicing, Expenses & Time-Tracking | Invoice Ninja

@david :MONTHYEAR doesn’t seem to be available at the moment. For example, if I enter :MONTHYEAR into an invoice it produces “MarchYEAR”.

We just need an easy way to have the year reflect the :MONTH referred to on invoices without having to manually adjust all the December invoices that go out in January.

For the Public Notes field, the keywords render just fine in Invoice Ninja. The problem is that they are not rendering when passed to Zapier in V5. We’re getting the keywords (e.g. :MONTH) in Zapier instead of the rendered value (e.g. “March”).

Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 8.50.50 AM

@ellc

The correct syntax for month year is to use it like this:

Gym membership: [MONTHYEAR|MONTHYEAR+24]

Gym membership: February 2021 to February 2023 :tada:

Note these fields only render on the PDFs, there is too much overhead calculating this to make this available in the API.

Thanks - I see that now. But how do I simply get the previous month and corresponding year without a range (e.g. :MONTHYEAR-1)?

Note these fields only render on the PDFs, there is too much overhead calculating this to make this available in the API.

I appreciate your letting me know, but is disappointing given it’s a change from V4.

@ellc

I’ve just checked this. For recurring invoices - the reserved keywords are processed correctly and the date is outputted as expected when the invoice is generated.

I’m sorry, I don’t think we’re understanding each other. On all recurring invoices, we need the following text to appear in the Public Notes field:

Current Period: [previous month / year]

Currently we are using the following reserved keywords to generate the desired text:

Current period: :MONTH-1 :YEAR

This works great for 11 months of the year. But on every January 1st, it translates to the wrong year if you bill in arrears. For example, On January 1st of this year, it generates…

Current Period: December 2022

…when we need it to generate:

Current Period: December 2021

The keywords are working as expected, but we need the year to correspond to the month without having to manually adjust all of the January 1st invoices.

You suggested MONTHYEAR, which sounds great in concept, but :MONTHYEAR doesn’t appear to be a working reserved keyword (see screenshots below). The [MONTHYEAR|MONTHYEAR] syntax can only generate a range.

So, is there a reserved keyword that can generate a single MONTHYEAR (e.g. March 2022)? If so, how do we use it? If not, could one please be created?

I appreciate your time.

Public notes:
Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 9.52.23 AM

Invoice:
Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 9.52.38 AM

Hi, just circling back on this. Would it be possible to create a standalone :MONTHYEAR (e.g. “April 2022”) keyword?

Checking in again on this. Any chance we can get a stand-alone :MONTHYEAR keyword? Thanks!

Hi @david, sorry to keep bothering on this, but if this functionality doesn’t already exist, would it be possible to create a a stand-alone :MONTHYEAR keyword (instead of a range)?

Hi @david & @hillel, just circling back here. Would it be possible to create a a stand-alone :MONTHYEAR keyword (instead of a range)?

@ellc

Looking into this now,

:MONTHYEAR will be available in the next release, you can also use +1 / -1 with this reserved keyword, please note that we increment in MONTHS only. ie :MONTHYEAR + 1 = July 2022 (now = June 2022)

That’s great! I’ll be sure to test this out once available. Thank you!

Hi @david , I just tried to test :MONTHYEAR but it doesn’t seem to be working. Has it not yet been released? Thanks in advance.

@ellc

This should be released this coming Sunday. 2nd of July.

Just wanted to let you know this is working great and I really appreciate your creating this keyword. Thanks!

2 Likes