Reminder/late fee scheduling

I have a reminder with late fee to apply “1 day after due date” according the settings. I am wondering exactly when this means the email/late fee will apply? is literally 24hs after the end of due date day? This is not great because it is essentially gives the client an extra day to pay an invoice late and legitimately claim they did not receive notice of a late fee. I would like to be able to set this more accurately at least by the hour so I could set something “1 hour after the due date” which would mean the late fee and email would at least send much closer to end of the date payment is due…not a gap of another whole day.

I do have general automated emails send for 1am but I cannot see any confirmation for reminders sent or late fees applied (nor do I see changes on the invoices) which is why I assume above that 1 day after literally means 24hrs. If I am not correct, please explain the expected functionality and how I can track that it occurs.

Thanks!

Hi,

You can adjust the time of the day the invoice is emailed on Settings > Email Settings.

You can view the next send date for the invoice to see when it will be sent next.

Right I understand those settings. I guess I am wondering if the reminder emails follow those same “rules”? We have two invoices not paid on time and I have a reminder with late fee set to go “1 day after due date” but no email or fee has applied as far as I can tell. Today is the day after.

My email send is set for 1:00am which it is 12 hours past now. I’m wondering what exactly does “1 day after due date” mean as far as the schedule because it missed the day after normal email send time mentioned above.

@david can you please advise?

If any users have any insight, I would appreciate knowing your experience as to when these reminders go out. I need to understand what the functionality is ASAP as I am in a current situation with overdue invoices I need to know if I should just manually send the reminder and add a fee.

@hillel I think I figured out the issue after days of searching I finally came across a forum thread where @david says: “The schedule only affects invoices created after the changes are made to your reminders, so if you have invoices which never had reminders set on them, they won’t pick up the new schedule.Can this be made more clear?? I did not even see this stated in the user documentation.

Boy I wish I had known this earlier or it was clearly stated somewhere when setting up reminders. This has resulted in one client getting a free pass on paying the current invoice a full day late after the due date. Another one still not paid due to being on vacation but now it feels wrong to charge one the late fee and not the other.

Edit: If I use a new reminder email…manually, for an existing invoice…will it apply the associated late charge for that reminder?