Recover Password not Working for me

Hello,

I installed and played a little bit last week with the self hosted option. I thought I saved my user/pass to the admin panel but today when I was going to go in again to get some more config done I didn’t have such info on my saved file of passwords.

I tried to used the recover password option but the email never arrived. I then changed the email on the database of users and it wasn’t received on that email neither. What other resource I have to get this password back? or reset it. I could start all over and lose 1 day of work and tests, but what if it happens in the future? then I don’t have a way to get the password, or even a customer, which I’ve seen others talking about it.

Thanks in advance,
IDEASGirl

Did you try clearing the DB cache after changing the email address? http://yourninjaurl/?clear_cache=true

Also make sure to double-check the mail settings in your .env file for MAIL_PORT, MAIL_HOST, MAIL_USERNAME, and MAIL_PASSWORD.

Did you try clearing the DB cache after changing the email address?
Yes, sir.

Also make sure to double-check the mail settings in your .env file for
I have those values blank on that file. I believe I didn’t get to set them. If I do now, and I don’t have emails set on this host, what should I do?

That’s likely your problem then. If there are no mail settings in the .env file, then the app won’t know how to send emails (including password recovery). I just use a gmail account on mine. You can enable SMTP in your gmail account by following this guide: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-use-google-s-smtp-server

Once that’s setup, make sure you have the following set in your .env file.

MAIL_DRIVER=smtp
MAIL_PORT=465
MAIL_ENCRYPTION=ssl
MAIL_HOST=smtp.gmail.com
MAIL_USERNAME=yourlogin@gmail.com
MAIL_FROM_NAME='Your Name'
MAIL_PASSWORD=yourpassword

That should enable the application to send emails (change the last three lines, obviously), and let you recover/reset your password.

That didn’t work. I’m missing MAIL_FROM_ADDRESS= not sure if that’s the problem. I also added a new email to the host account and tried that smtp and no success.

I do see the password_reset requests on the db.

Long shot, but care to paste your .env after redacting any passwords or keys?

Sure:

APP_ENV=production
APP_DEBUG=false
APP_LOCALE=en
APP_URL=https://ideas4net.com/billing/public
APP_KEY=***
APP_CIPHER=AES-256-CBC
REQUIRE_HTTPS=true
DB_TYPE=mysql
DB_HOST=localhost
DB_DATABASE=***
DB_USERNAME=***
DB_PASSWORD=***
MAIL_DRIVER=smtp
MAIL_PORT=465
MAIL_ENCRYPTION=ssl
MAIL_HOST=smtp.ideas4net.com
MAIL_USERNAME=billing@ideas4net.com
MAIL_FROM_NAME=IDEAS
MAIL_FROM_ADDRESS=
MAIL_PASSWORD=***
PHANTOMJS_CLOUD_KEY=a-demo-key-with-low-quota-per-ip-address
PHANTOMJS_SECRET=***
MAILGUN_DOMAIN=
MAILGUN_SECRET=

Only thing I can think of off the top of my head would be to check your mailserver logs and see if it’s rejecting the login from IN.

How?

Might need to get in contact with whoever you have your email hosted with and make sure everything’s good on their end. And also that they’re actually allowing connections from the IP your IN server is running on.