Problems with Recurring invoice numbers

Good evening,
I’m having problems with the invoice numbers in the recurring invoices. I’d like my invoices (recurring or not) to share the counter, but every time I click “save” in a recurring invoice, it gets an invoice number and screws all the system… This used to work in v4 quite smoothly, so I assume I’m doing something wrong. Could I have some help, please?

Regards,
Gabriel Crespo

Hi,

I think you may be confusing recurring invoices with the standard invoices generated by a recurring invoice. In v4 recurring invoices don’t have a number, in v5 we’ve added a number but it doesn’t affect the invoices.

Hi Hillel,
I think I need a bit more explanation on that. As I read it, it sounds like “I’m confusing recurring invoices with recurring invoices”…

Regards,
Gabriel Crespo

The number assigned to a recurring invoice is never seen by your client, it’s just used as a reference. Your clients will only see the number on the invoices generated by the recurring invoice.

Hi Hillel,
I’m sorry, but there’s still something I’m not understanding. If you check the below image, the “number” in those Recurring Invoices is fixed. Moreover, a new invoice I have manually created has picked number 20210046, so it has screwed my invoices order.

I want recurring invoices to have their name generated when they are automatically created and sent (the same way they did in v4), otherwise, they are not useful in Spain.

Regards,
Gabriel Crespo

Again, I think you’re confusing recurring invoices with the standard invoices which recurring invoices generate. Your clients will not see the recurring invoice, they’ll see the invoices it creates.

Hi Hillel,
But the numbers that appear in my “recurring invoices” are modifying the counter in my “invoices” even if no invoice has been generated. I think that should not happen:

• Last invoice has number 0042
  • I create “recurring invoice 1” and it automatically gets number 0043. Invoice will be generated in a month.
  • I create “recurring invoice 2” and it automatically gets number 0044. Invoice will be generated in a month.
  • I create “recurring invoice 3” and it automatically gets number 0045. Invoice will be generated in a month.
  • I create a new invoice and it automatically gets number 0046 (3 missing numbers!).

Regards,
Gabriel Crespo

@david any thoughts on this?

Can you check what settings you have for generated numbers on the invoices and recurring invoices tabs?

Here they are :slight_smile:

Thanks for the screenshots!

To clarify, whether you create an invoice or a recurring invoice both counters are being incremented?

That’s what it looks like. I’m wondering if it could be a matter of having the exact same pattern and counter. Maybe it won’t happen if I change the Recurring invoice pattern?

Regards,
Gabriel Crespo

I cannot recreate this.

If i create a recurring invoice, and then create a invoice - the number counters appear independent.

As hillel said, the numbers you are seing on the recurring invoice have nothing to do with the invoices that are generated on the recurring schedule.