Payment paying multiple invoices

Most of my clients still mail in checks. A lot of times, they will pay multiple invoices in one check. What is the best practice for entering payments?
I typically will enter the invoice as the payment amount, and just go back and use the same check number for the second and third invoice.

is there another way of doing this that will pay them all at once?

Sorry, it isn’t supported.

One option would be to pay the full amount against one invoice. This would create a credit which could be used to pay the other invoices, not sure if that would help though…

Hi,
I have the same problem. I do as Hillel says : register the check as a payment for the first invoice, which indeed leads to the creation of a credit. Than open the second invoice of your customer and apply the credit, same with third invoice if necessary. It’s the truest to reality way according to me.

However, there should be a way to apply credit to all unpaid invoices at once… There are several invoices which are not paid and applying credit to each of them is a hectic job… otherwise, in client portal and statement, outstanding balance must get reduced from total credits. For eg. if the client has 32,000 in pending, then if there is a credit of 10,000 the balance should be 22,000.

Agreed, we hope to correct this in v2.

Wow! Great news… Thank you! :slight_smile:

Hi!

I managed to display total paid (credit + paid ) , balance (total - credit + paid) in the client dashboard (not in the client’s portal. However, I would like to reflect the balance (total - credit + paid) in the outstanding balance which is displayed in the invoice pdf. Also, where would be the client statement file located…

click here for the image

Thank you

Sorry, it isn’t supported

resources/assets/js/pdf.pdfmake.js

It is ok :slight_smile: Invoice ninja is already feature overloaded… Thank you for the file location…

I am using the hosted environment…

In reference to @hillel’s comment, I used one payment (received for multiple invoices) and assigned it to the first invoice that it referred to. That gave my customer the appropriate credit. Now I want to assign that credit to “past due” invoices (as @paroiron states) but I’m not sure how to do that, without screwing anything up.

Is it simple a case of within the invoice window, select Enter payment for each of the other unpaid invoices, or is there a way of applying the credit to more than once of those unpaid invoices, thereby marking them as “paid”?

I guess what I’m asking here is: what’s the most appropriate procedure for applying credit to one or more invoices?

1. Do I select an invoice and then choose “Mark as paid”
  2. Do I select an invoice and then choose “Enter payment”

In either case, does the credit get adjusted accordingly?

Ok, so for others - I’ve worked out applying credit to past due invoices:

1. From the invoice list, select Enter payment on the right hand side for the required invoice
  2. Ensure that the Payment type is Apply credit | xxx (xxx shows the current credit balance)
    1. The online version has “Check” listed here by default. Delete that option and start typing in “credit” or “apply” and you should see Apply credit | xxx listed, allowing you to select that as the payment type.
  3. Select Save

The credit balance will be decremented by the amount in the invoice.