Include first tax in subtotal then calculate second tax on that subtotal

Hi everyone,

I am not sure if something like this possible.
By default, I have a “handling fee” of 2% on the subtotal of the invoice. So regardless of what the line items comes to, the handling fee will always be 2%. Before I should manually calculate this and add it as a line item until @hillel advised me to create it as a tax so it will automatically calculate.

However, now my business is going to be registered for VAT of 15%.
I know we can have 2 taxes on an invoice, however the issue I am having is that it calculate the “handling fee” on the subtotal of the line items and then calculates VAT on the subtotal as well, but I want it to include the “handling fee” as part of the VAT calculation.

In my example below, you can see the subtotals, “handling fee”, VAT and Total.

I want it to calculate as follows:
Subtotal: R522
“handling fee”: R10.44
VAT:(R522 + R10.44) X 15% = R79.866
Total: R522 + R10.44 + R79.86 = R612.30

Is something like this possible or would I have to go back to manually calculating the handling fee and adding it as a line item ?

I have tried using VAT on the line items directly but that still does not calculate correctly.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi,

One option may be to apply a negative discount and then update the label of the discount on the invoice. It’s a bit of a hack though, there may be an issue requesting this feature on GitHub.

Hi @hillel

I will try your suggestion, will provide feedback shortly.
I have found this issue(s) on github as well, mentioned in September and December 2018. Not sure if it has been implemented or not as I’ve seen its still under the open section. Is there anyway to encourage this feature being implemented?

The provided solution here for compounding taxes, is to have a tax rate on the line item, and then on the total as well.

Hi @david

I have done as you advised, added line item tax and the tax on the total but it still isn’t correct value. Am I doing something wrong ? Below are snips of the invoice and tax settings.

I have even swopped the tax rates around

These are my tax settings:

I have also tried what @hillel suggested but do not get the value needed.

Hi @hillel and @david

Is there anything else I can try ?

Hi @hillel and @david

I apologize for being a pest, but please can you assist me with this as I have tried everything possible and there is still not result of what @david has suggested.

Thanks

Sorry, I don’t believe this is currently supported.

So trying the way that @david has suggested hasn’t proved to work in the past ?
Is it possible for this to be included in the next patch / release ?

I do not even mind paying for this feature to be implemented, as I highly need this feature because my entire business runs of invoice ninja currently!
To get a functionality of what was said in this comment below will be excellent !

Sorry, we don’t accept payments to implement features.

Okay, I will just wait for this feature to be implemented
Thanks and I apologize again for being a pest on this.

@JeromeTR

Is your region Canada for this?

When using compounding taxes, is it a blanket rule that all taxes compound, or do they only impact certain scenarios?

Hi @david

My region isn’t listed there, I am from South Africa.

For the compound tax, it would apply to all quotes/invoices going forward. However only the VAT would compound over other taxes. That will be the last tax that must be calculated on the subtotal plus other taxes.
Essentially, what I would need is explained below:

If the subtotal is R100.
2% - handling fee
15% - VAT

What I get :
Balance Due = Subtotal + (2% + 15%)
R100+( 17% ) = R117

What I need :
Balance Due = (Subtotal + 2%) +15%
(R100 + 2%) + 15% = R117.3

Hi @david

By any chance is there any development being done on this request? I cannot see any update on Github as well about this feature being added.

Thanks

@JeromeTR

Not as yet.

it is a non-trivial change, so would require a bit of discussion/planning internally.

Hi @david

Thanks for the update!
I will continue doing this a manual way of making a line item for the handling fee / service charge and have the VAT as the tax until you guys get a chance to do this. :slight_smile:

Appreciate all the effort !