I created an invoice for the wrong client. How do I change the client?

Hi,

I created an invoice, saved the draft then realised I had assigned the invoice to the wrong client. How do I now assign it to a different client?

You help is appreciated, thank you.

Hi,

One option is to clone the invoice to set a new client and then mark the old invoice as deleted.

Note: you’ll need to change the invoice number of the first invoice to be able to re-use it.

Won’t that mess up the numbering of my invoices?

Why is it so complicated? Surely the ability to assign an invoice to a different client is a fundamental feature of any invoicing system?

What happens if I simply delete the invoice (it hasn’t been sent yet)? Will the next invoice I create have the same number as the deleted invoice?

Each client has a ledger which tracks all of their invoices. If the app supported transferring invoices from one client to another it would make the ledger quite complex.

If you delete the invoice the number is still in use, you need to first change it (ie, to 0001_deleted) and then delete it. Note: we’ve automated part of this in v5.

So if for example the automatically generated number was 100. After changing my assigned number for the invoice to ‘001_deleted’, then deleting the invoice, the next time I create a new invoice its automatically generated number will be 100?

ie: it will be as if the previous (now deleted) invoice had never been created?

Whatever I do, what I don’t want is any change to my automatic numbering. So, I don’t want to end up with a ‘hole’ in the numbering, ie: an invoice numbered eg., 100 and the next invoice 102.

Will simply deleting the invoice achieve this?

You can adjust the counter on Settings > Invoice Settings to set what the next number will be.

Not with free version.

So, before I go ahead and delete the invoice, please can you confirm this will happen:-

So if for example the automatically generated number was 100. After changing my assigned number for the invoice to ‘001_deleted’, then deleting the invoice, the next time I create a new invoice its automatically generated number will be 100?

Thanks.

Sorry, I’m not sure offhand. You may want to create a blank company to test in.

That’s a good idea. Unfortunately creating a blank company automatically creates it in Version 5, not Version 4 (which is what I am using). As Version 5 is completely different to 4 there is no guarantee that what works in 5 will work in 4.

Any other suggestions? Could you get into my account and delete the invoice for me?

Or give me temporary ability to manually change the next invoice number in Settings > Invoice Settings ?

You can add a new company to your existing v4 account using the dropdown in the top left.

I believe the counter may skip ahead but you should be able to catch it up by manually adjusting the number for the next invoice.

Hey Kumast, the best solution for your problem is to create a credit note for the same wrong client and after that create a new invoice for the correct client.

It’s the same principle like going to a store and returning an item and getting your money back.

This way the auto numbering won’t have the wrong number like you would have if you rename to wrong invoice to “invoicenumber-deleted” and delete it.