How is the window app of V5 suppose to work? Correction PWA not window app

I have installed the Invoice Ninja app (windows desktop) from my self hosted invoice ninja.

I have the invoice ninja icon on my desktop.

However I am not sure how this is suppose to work.

If I log in to invoice ninja via my browser (chrome) and then click the windows icon - I can use the invoice ninja windows app.

If I am NOT logged in to invoice ninja via my browser (chrome) and click the invoice ninja app icon (windows) on my desktop, I get a 404 error. Should I not be getting a login screen and not the 404 error?
See image below showing what I get if I click the invoice ninja from my windows desktop Icon, Windows pin, and windows start up menu.

Steps I Used for testing

• Self Hosted Invoice Ninja v5.3.93
  • Windows 10 Home - updates current
  • Chrome version 102.0.5005.63 (Official Build) (64-bit)
  • Edge version 101.0.1210.53 (Official build) (64-bit)
  • I first installed invoice ninja app from chrome.

• Closed Chrome and tried the Invoice Ninja Icon from my windows desktop - no login screen just 404 error.

• I, then, logged into invoice ninja via my chrome browser and then click the invoice ninja desktop icon. Result: I get invoice ninja correctly on my windows desktop

Next test:

• I uninstall windows invoice ninja app.

• Clear all browsing data and cookies, history in both chrome and edge browsers.

• Then reboot my windows computer.

• From a freshly rebooted computer, I open Edge (browser) and go to my self hosted invoice ninja.

• I install invoice ninja windows app via my edge browser.

• I close edge browser and click the invoice ninja desktop icon and get the 404 error.

Next Test:

• I logged into self hosted invoice ninja via my Edge browser.

• I click the invoice ninja windows desktop icon. I get 404 error.

• With Edge browser closed, I click invoice ninja windows desktop icon. I get 404 error.

The only way the invoice ninja windows icon works, is to log into self hosted invoice ninja via my chrome browser. Then click the invoice ninja windows desktop icon.

Hi,

I think you may be confusing the web PWA with the desktop app.

Did you install the app from the Microsoft Store?

No not from Microsoft store. Install from link icon that shows up in the browsers address bar - and installs a windows desktop icon, windows taskbar icon, and/or windows start menu icon.

Edge:

Chrome:

If you’d like to use the desktop app you need to install it from the Windows Store.

The icon shown in the screenshot installs the web PWA, which is basically a shortcut to the web app.

Okay sorry I will try to remember to refer to the desktop icons and PWA and not Windows App.

To verify what the correct operation of the PWA:

By clicking the web PWA icon from my desktop - it will never go to a login screen.

The PWA desktop icon only works, if you are already logged into invoice ninja via chrome browser.

Got it. It could be a bug, we’ll need to look into it.

Okay - if you do look into it. As a note - I just tried it again with logging into my chrome browser and then open the PWA and it failed. I had to uninstall and then login and reinstall.

However, once you close your browser and PWA and try to get back in - it fails.

So bottom line is that PWA is not work without lots of uninstall and install. It be faster to just use it in my chrome browser. But I would love to use it if you get it fixed. Specially if you just click and go - it save me a huge amount of time, since I am on it most of the work day.

Another option is to abandon the PWA and remove it from loading on the browser bar, as it might speed up the wait time for log in screen.

@hillel
Thanks for listening and being patient with me.

Have a great day!

Thanks for the details, this is helpful!

Out of curiosity, is there a reason you want to use the PWA over the desktop app?

can you use the desktop app with self-hosted?

Yes, all apps (web/mobile/desktop) support hosted and selfhosted users.

Thanks maybe I will try it out. :slight_smile:

1 Like