How do documents work?

So I learned recently if you upload docs to your company settings…those docs get attached every invoice you send out.

I’ve started doing “quotes” but use it more as a personalized/professional looking price list. In those quotes I will attach a standard “rules” document and a “release of liability” document. -These documents will be the same for every client or potential client. I noticed in the directory structure of “…storage/…/documents/” that a copy of these PDF files is uploaded every time with a random filename. This is going to take up unnecessary storage space over time. Is there some other way I should be doing this or can IN make use of existing uploaded documents to prevent uploading duplicates for each new client?

The above items have stemmed another question. Once a lead does become a client and I attach a scanned copy of their forms I have been uploading into the documents section of that specific client. Are those docs going to be attached and emailed to client every time they get an invoice etc from the system as was the behavior in my first question? If so, I need to re-think my approach.

Thank you

Hi,

It’s possible the app could check the document hash to prevent storing duplicates, feel free to create an issue on GitHub to request it.

I believe only documents attached to the invoice are included with the email

I recently fumbled with a client invoice (which you helped me with) and while sorting it out I had started to CC myself to make sure it came out correctly. In those email, the one document I had uploaded under our own company settings - documents was automatically included in that invoice email.

As a test, in my test instance I also just sent myself a fake invoice and it automatically attaches any file under company docs unless marked as private. I guess its kind of an odd behavior. I can see the private/not private flag being useful for the client portal (not used in my case) but I’m not sure its a good idea to assume those documents should be included in emails generated by the system.

This is also why I would like to know if this same behavior occurs when uploading documents to specific clients. For now I have removed the docs from company settings as it is not useful in the current state and I am setting all client specific docs as “private” as those are mostly for our internal digital records.

I would be happy to submit a feature request for more of a document “repository” style functionality where documents can be selected and are not duplicated but wanted to also see if the above is intended or a possible bug.

Thank you

I believe the current implementation is working correctly but we’re always open to improving it.

1 Like

Here’s an idea:

• create a directory in your hosting for the documents you are talking about;
  • Add the link/s to your Terms & Conditions section of your invoice

This way you don’t have the same document repeatedly uploaded and you have them available for your customer when they receive your quote or your invoice.

Hope that helps.

I don’t really have documents I want to send EVERY time. I have a standard set that only needs to go to potential or new clients. IN has the framework in place, just need to make the managing of uploaded files more efficient by letting you select files you have already uploaded and used. I have a feature request already logged on github.