Got 500 Internal Error upon upgrading from 5.3.64 to 5.3.84

I just ran into another 500 Internal Error issue after upgrading automatically from Softaculous. I’ve noticed several reports and tried a few solutions, but it didn’t work. Is there a known way to resolve this quickly? Very last lines of the logs below:

[2022-05-16 22:33:10] production.INFO: db fails  
[2022-05-16 22:38:04] production.ERROR: include(): read of 10476 bytes failed with errno=14 Bad address {"exception":"[object] (ErrorException(code: 0): include(): read of 10476 bytes failed with errno=14 Bad address at /home/mysite/mydomain.in/vendor/composer/ClassLoader.php:571)
[stacktrace]
#0 /home/mysite/mydomain.in/vendor/composer/ClassLoader.php(571): Illuminate\\Foundation\\Bootstrap\\HandleExceptions->handleError(8, 'include(): read...', '/home/mysite/...', 571, Array)
#1 /home/mysite/mydomain.in/vendor/composer/ClassLoader.php(571): include()
#2 /home/mysite/mydomain.in/vendor/composer/ClassLoader.php(428): Composer\\Autoload\\includeFile('/home/mysite/...')
#3 [internal function]: Composer\\Autoload\\ClassLoader->loadClass('App\\\\Models\\\\Acco...')
#4 /home/mysite/mydomain.in/app/Providers/EventServiceProvider.php(580): spl_autoload_call('App\\\\Models\\\\Acco...')
#5 /home/mysite/mydomain.in/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Container/BoundMethod.php(36): App\\Providers\\EventServiceProvider->boot()
#6 /home/mysite/mydomain.in/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Container/Util.php(40): Illuminate\\Container\\BoundMethod::Illuminate\\Container\\{closure}()
#7 /home/mysite/mydomain.in/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Container/BoundMethod.php(93): Illuminate\\Container\\Util::unwrapIfClosure(Object(Closure))
#8 /home/mysite/mydomain.in/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Container/BoundMethod.php(37): Illuminate\\Container\\BoundMethod::callBoundMethod(Object(Illuminate\\Foundation\\Application), Array, Object(Closure))
#9 /home/mysite/mydomain.in/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Container/Container.php(653): Illuminate\\Container\\BoundMethod::call(Object(Illuminate\\Foundation\\Application), Array, Array, NULL)
#10 /home/mysite/mydomain.in/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Foundation/Application.php(924): Illuminate\\Container\\Container->call(Array)
#11 /home/mysite/mydomain.in/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Foundation/Application.php(905): Illuminate\\Foundation\\Application->bootProvider(Object(App\\Providers\\EventServiceProvider))
#12 [internal function]: Illuminate\\Foundation\\Application->Illuminate\\Foundation\\{closure}(Object(App\\Providers\\EventServiceProvider), 34)
#13 /home/mysite/mydomain.in/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Foundation/Application.php(906): array_walk(Array, Object(Closure))
#14 /home/mysite/mydomain.in/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Foundation/Bootstrap/BootProviders.php(17): Illuminate\\Foundation\\Application->boot()
#15 /home/mysite/mydomain.in/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Foundation/Application.php(237): Illuminate\\Foundation\\Bootstrap\\BootProviders->bootstrap(Object(Illuminate\\Foundation\\Application))
#16 /home/mysite/mydomain.in/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Foundation/Http/Kernel.php(153): Illuminate\\Foundation\\Application->bootstrapWith(Array)
#17 /home/mysite/mydomain.in/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Foundation/Http/Kernel.php(137): Illuminate\\Foundation\\Http\\Kernel->bootstrap()
#18 /home/mysite/mydomain.in/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Foundation/Http/Kernel.php(111): Illuminate\\Foundation\\Http\\Kernel->sendRequestThroughRouter(Object(Illuminate\\Http\\Request))
#19 /home/mysite/mydomain.in/public/index.php(57): Illuminate\\Foundation\\Http\\Kernel->handle(Object(Illuminate\\Http\\Request))
#20 {main}
"} 
[2022-05-16 22:44:28] production.INFO: db fails  
[2022-05-16 22:44:29] production.INFO: db fails

Hi,

@david do you have any suggestions?

Can I provide you with any additional input for this?

@Jazz

Have you tried copying over the release file?

https://github.com/invoiceninja/invoiceninja/releases/download/v5.3.95/invoiceninja.zip

@david: No, I haven’t tried it… I relied on automatic updates from Softaculous. I’ll give it a try.

I’m curious to know - what’s the difference between an automated update vs. manually copying over the root project directory?

@Jazz

Softaculous typically handles all the heavy lifting with the upgrade and we rarely see any upgrades go wrong as a result. I’m not sure exactly what has happened here in your case.

One option you may also want to consider is creating a fresh install with softaculous and then pointing it to your old database.