Generated Numbers - client_counter

Testing v5.0.40-C33 and running into some issues with Generated Numbers

{$client_id_number} doesnt return a value. Stays as {$client_id_number} once saved / sent
{$client_counter} seems to be generating the same value as {$counter} but not the client_counter value
{$counter} - works
{$year} - works
{$user_id} - works

Confirmed that this is not unique to my install. To reproduce:

Go to https://demo.invoiceninja.com
Under generated numbers, invoices, number pattern, enter:
I-{$year}-{$client_id_number}-{$counter}-{$client_counter}

Generate a new invoice. You’ll see that it looks like this:
Generated Numbers

where {$client_id_number} isnt picking up a value at all, and client_counter is displaying the same value as counter.

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know, we’ll look into it.

@david any thoughts?

Update on testing as of v5.0.44-C37:
{$client_id_number} is now working properly. {$client_counter} however is still showing the absolute {$counter} value instead of the individual {$client_counter} value

@peterjm

I can’t recreate this, $client_counter is working for me when i create invoices.

@david

Steps to reproduce:

https://demo.invoiceninja.com

Settings> Generated Numbers> Incoives

Set Number Pattern to:
Client Counter:{$client_counter}-Counter:{$counter}

Create a few invoices for different clients. The client_counter shows the same value as counter, where i thought it should be a unique counter for each client invoice count? Or im mis understanding the purpose of client_counter.

counter results

Thanks!

Ah so i think you can only have one counter operating at a time.

@david

ok. Well I tried setting Invoices Number Pattern to the following:
I-{$client_counter} (So that only one counter is operating at a time right?)

However the $client_counter value is still just showing same value as $counter would (it just counts the number of invoices ever created regardless of which client is being invoiced). Shouldn’t the $client_counter be showing the number of invoices for the client being invoiced?

Otherwise im not understanding its purpose of client_counter. How is it different from counter? My assumption was that it should be based on a new counter per client ID (which I would find really useful because i could have each invoice count per client ID and each client would know the total number of invoices they had)

Thanks,

• Peter

@peterjm

I think i see a bug here, i’ll check in a fix for this.

@peterjm a fix for this is in the v5-develop branch,

please note you must use {client_id_number} with {client_counter} for it to work.

Can confirm this is working properly for me now in v5.0.47-C38 when i use both {$client_id_number} with {$client_counter}

2 Likes

Thanks for the update @peterjm!

Running into this new error on v5.1.5-C41

When i add $number as the error suggests it still shows up.

Thanks for reporting this, I’ll take a look

1 Like

I think the problem here (in part at least) is that the help message is wrong, the correct variables are $client_number and $client_id_number.

@david can you please confirm that’s correct?

correct, $client_number and $client_id_number

1 Like

ok but i cant get client_counter to work with any combination of:
a) client_number
b) client_id_number
or c) client_number and client_id_number

When i first noticed this i was using the exact same variables as i did in 5.0.47-c38. I think something changed and broke in the error checking?

This bug should be fixed in the next release

1 Like

Confirmed problem is fixed when i tested on v5.1.6-C42

Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks for the update!