Empty system logs

Hello !

From Self-Hosted v5.4.4-C85…

On Dashboard > System Logs > “Email Failure”

I can’t see the error log (cf. screenshot).

Looks ok in database :

> select * from system_logs where event_id=30\G
*************************** 1. row ***************************
         id: 2
 company_id: 1
    user_id: 1
  client_id: 1
category_id: 2
   event_id: 30
    type_id: 303
        log: "Failed to authenticate on SMTP server with username \"noreply@<domain.com>\" using 2 possible authenticators. Authenticator LOGIN returned Expected response code 235 but got code \"535\", with message \"535 5.7.8 Error: authentication failed: XXXxxxxxxx\r\n\". Authenticator PLAIN returned Expected response code 235 but got code \"535\", with message \"535 5.7.8 Error: authentication failed: XXXXxxxxxxxx\r\n\"."
 created_at: 2022-06-29 15:58:44.798389
 updated_at: 2022-06-29 15:58:44.798389
 deleted_at: NULL

No error in browser developper tools

Thanks in advance for your help ! :slight_smile:

Hi,

The info here may help: https://stackoverflow.com/a/62592929/497368

Hi Hillel,

It’s not really a SMTP configuration problem.

I voluntarily put a fake password in .env to generate this error in order to show the real message in System Logs.

Why it’s empty ?

Maybe the emails are being queued?

Hi,

There is nothing in the queue.

Why I can’t see the error message from the system_logs table ("Failed to authenticate on SMTP server with username “noreply@<domain.com>” using 2 possible authenticators. Authenticator LOGIN returned Expected response code 235 but got code “535”, with message "535 5.7.8 Error: authent)

I’m not sure I understand, do you mean you see the system log error when checking the database directly but not when using the app?

@david do you have any thoughts?

I’m not sure I understand, do you mean you see the system log error when checking the database directly but not when using the app?

Exactly

I’m not sure, do you see any system log records?

Nothing in error.log / laravel.log

It seems like there are two problems: emails not sending and system logs not showing in the app. I suggest focusing on the email problem first.

Have you tried using a different email provider?

I don’t have any email problem, it was a test with a fake password just to generate an error in System Logs. We send email without error with the good password.

I just would like to see the detailled error message in the dashboard, just in case we’ll get other system logs in the future

Thanks, understood.

Are you seeing the error message without the log or no error at all?

It may help if you can post a screenshot.

Thanks, got it.

@david any thoughts?

1 Like

@hillel

It looks like the only return the first 100 records of system logs.

I believe he’s seeing the log in the app, the problem is that he can’t see the details about the error.

I’ve also seen this problem in the past.

This is still an issue on v5.5.118. I don’t use the email sending functionality and don’t have SMTP information filled in within the .env file, yet Invoice Ninja will occasionally try to send…something.

So, two things.

[1] Just confirming this is still an issue with the System Logs displaying nothing when expanded.

[2] Why is Invoice Ninja repeatedly trying to send something via email? It’s the only log I have in System Logs over and over. I’ve masked the client name, but the client name is the exact same for every message, and they happen to be client ID number 1 in my database (first client). I haven’t touched one of those client’s invoices or issued them a new one in years.

@david any thoughts?

Most likely it is the login notification email.

@david How can I stop these from attempting to go out?