Email Communications Issue When Using Multiple Companies On One Instance

I use the Self-Hosted version of Invoice Ninja and I have multiple companies that I use inside of one instance. For the most part, this works quite well and I can manage them all just fine in most cases.

However, the issue arises when I want to send an invoice from one of the companies that isn’t the main company. It will send an email as the system email of the primary company rather than the company I am managing at the time.

Is there something I am doing wrong? Could it be associated to the user account I am logged in with?

I use the same user account for all of the companies and do the drop down switch in order to manage the other companies. If I have to login in as a different company that would be fine as well, I am just not sure if there is something I am doing wrong or whether this is a limitation of the self-hosted software.

Please advise.

The email settings are shared by all companies, the reply-to is set to the company sending the invoice.

To use separate settings you’d need to install multiples instances of the app.

That is unfortunate but I see. This means the multiple instance functionality of the software is unusable in my opinion as I do not want people from one company to receive emails related to another company.

The reply-to aspect of it is not a reliable option as I’ve already experienced a break point of clients from one company responding to email for the other company address.

To clarify… if you install multiples instances of the app each install would have it’s own .env file with email settings. You just wouldn’t be able to use the company switcher to change between the accounts.

> To clarify… if you install multiples instances of the app each install would have it’s own .env file with email settings. You just wouldn’t be able to use the company switcher to change between the accounts.

I understand this, however, I would have to say the Company Switcher function is worthless if they all communicate as one company. It might as well not exist if I have to load multiple instances.

I am ok with loading multiple instances because that is a normal thing with self-hosted but the multiple companies on one instance implies that they can act independently but that is just not the case.

The single instance + multi-company should allowed for them to act independently of each other in terms of communication OR the function shouldn’t exist at all.

Essentially what I did was setup another company, add clients, invoices, expenses, etc. only to find out that all of that effort is 100% wasted because I have to do it all again with a brand new instance so the simple email notifications would use the right email. I’m sure you can see how annoying that is.

I am still a fan of the project/software, I just hope you either remove that entirely or make it so it doesn’t require multiple instances for communications.

Each company sets their own display name\reply to, this approach works well on our hosted platform. I agree it’d be better if each self-host company could set their own email account but I don’t think the feature should be hidden without it.

The reason I noticed this as a problem is I sent an email to a client on a secondary company, then they replied to the wrong company email. It didn’t matter what I set as the “reply-to” value because it just didn’t work.

Perhaps make a wiki page that explains the possibility when people go to make another company instead of running into the issue like I did. Reply-to value is just not reliable and therefore I wish I would have known the safer choice in making another instance.

Edit: is the White Label purchase a “per-instance” fee?

In our experience the reply-to header works most of the time, some email clients ignore it but they’re by far the exception.

The white label license is per instance but if you’re setting up a second instance as a workaround I don’t think it’s a problem sharing the license key.

Is this still the case? i.e. in version 5 is it still not possible to have different email_from, etc on a per company basis in a single instance of the self-hosted version?