early payment discount

Hi,

sorry for my bad english. I want to give my customers an early payment discount. For example the invoice has an amoumt of 100€, payable within 7 days 2% discount, 14 days net. I’m only able to book the payment of 100€. When I enter the real payment of 98,04€, the discount of 1,94€ is remaining an the customer sees the missing amount at his dashboard.

How can I manage this?

Have you tried setting a discount for the invoice?

Yes, but that isn’t what i want. I want to provide an discount dependent on how fast the customer pays. The invoice tells “pay 98€ withing next 7 days (2% discount) or pay within 14 days net”. Then I have to enter the amount the customer has finaly paid - and here I can’t enter the real paid amount and mark the invoice as finaly paid.
sorry can’t explain it better :-/

Sorry, it isn’t supported. You’d need to manually adjust the invoice before they pay.

Okay, I hope it will be implemented in future, this is an ordinary case in germany, called “skonto” (skonto isn’t the correct word for it, it means “discount for cash” but it is used for early payments also)

I have added a pull request to implement a feature to automatically add a discount over the remaining balance on payment creation.

https://github.com/invoiceninja/invoiceninja/pull/2824

Feel free to implement the changes yourself, if you are in a hurry:

https://github.com/invoiceninja/invoiceninja/pull/2824/commits/cf273f0eb44c0f7fef71cb3f37019505cb5d3370

Thanks for taking the time to create the PR!

Was this functionality officially added to v4? If so, how can I implement this via the API?

Sorry, this feature has not been added

Will a feature like this come for V5?

Its common practise in Austria to give a customer a discount for faster payment. But it’s not a discount you deduct right away, because it just applies if you pay faster, after the time is over you pay the normal price. And as we are not allowed to alter invoices after they are sent… no changes can be done later on, unless how they paid.

Usually it is just mentioned within the payment Terms, but in V5 I can just say X days for payment, no text to add additional info. But thats the correct place to show, so every customer can have different settings.

A way that could work (without automation)

• Payment Terms: You can add text with this info. (Right now in V5 you can just add numbers as dayxs, no additional descriptions)
  • At payment you book the amount he paid, and book the “Early Payment Discount, called Skonto here” as payment to zero out the invoice.

This way, accoutancy can also have a sum per month of the amount deducted for tax reason, as they need to know it.

Just trying to find a way for a simple workaround.

Sure, some software do it more automated. They write, until Date X pay this, until Date Y pay this (according to used payment terms which differ by customer). And the difference is booked automatically. But manual is also fine.

So I am not sure if you can change / add some text for payment terms already? If Payment Term = X then show Y on invoice.

1 Like