Creating empty invoice with Hours instead of Quantity

Hi All,

I’m looking in starting to use InvoiceNinja for our company invoices.

We both invoice consultancy work (performed hours * tarif), but also other fixed price items.

By default when creating an invoice the fields “Unit Cost” and Quantity appear.
Is it possible to change this per invoice to Tarif and Hours ?

It shows these values when you create an invoice from a task (or duplicate such invoice).
However, as we won’t be using the tasks section, it would be very handy to make this selection when creating a new invoice.

Is this possible (and am I missing this option) or is this a missing feature ?

Thanks for any input!

Regards,
Johan

(I’m using 4.5.19 for reference, since the 5.0 branch is still in beta.)

By default when creating an invoice the fields “Unit Cost” and Quantity appear.
Is it possible to change this per invoice to Tarif and Hours ?

If you go into Settings > Invoice Design and click on the Invoice Labels tab, there’s a list you can select from. One of them is called “Rate” which you can then label as “Tarif.” Whenever you invoice a task to a new invoice, it will automatically show “Tarif” and “Hours” on that invoice.

It shows these values when you create an invoice from a task (or duplicate such invoice).
However, as we won’t be using the tasks section, it would be very handy to make this selection when creating a new invoice.

Is this possible (and am I missing this option) or is this a missing feature ?

If you don’t plan on using the task feature, you can use the same method to rename the “Unit Cost” and “Quantity” fields to “Tarif” and "Hours, and it will show up that way on all new invoices.

The downside of either method is that there’s no way to change to adding fixed price items on the same invoice and have the default labels. What I would suggest doing is this:

1. Create a new Custom Design for invoices using “Tarif” and “Hours” as your labels instead of “Unit Cost” and "Quantity.

2. Invoice fixed price items on the same invoice as a single hour at whatever their cost is, or

3. Use separate invoices for hourly and fixed price services, and select the design you need when creating a new invoice.

Thanks for the input, creating custom designs with the correct layout, naming and amount of columns is indeed a good way to go!

I’m currently testing in the free hosted version, however when going to production we will go for the Enterprise edition.
I see it is possible to change existing design, however is it possible to completely design your own custom invoice (with in my case multiple version of it) or is the startingpoint always 1 of the 10 designs ?

Probably best to start with one of the existing designs. While you can start from scratch, the designer in 4.x.x is…a bit obtuse… You’d likely be coding the design by hand instead of just changing values here and there.

If I recall correctly, one of their goals for the new version was to make the invoice designer more user-friendly. But one of the devs should be able to give a concrete answer on that.