Update Invoice Ninja on Bitnami deployed to Google Cloud Platform

Hello,

I have the bitnami stack version of Invoice Ninja installed on google cloud platform. Bitnami provides instructions on how to update Invoice Ninja but they do not work. I have also tried the instructions given here on your site: https://www.invoiceninja.com/self-host/

But when I copy over the files, I just get a blank page when trying to access invoice ninja. Are there any step by step instructions to update invoice ninja on bitnami?

Oh and here are the instructions Bitnami has to upgrade Invoice Ninja:

How to upgrade Invoice Ninja?

It is strongly recommended to create a backup before starting the update process. If you have important data, create and restore a backup to ensure that everything works properly.

There are two different ways to upgrade your application.
•You can upgrade the application and all stack components, such as PHP, Ruby, MySQL and Apache. •Follow these instructions

•You can upgrade the application only without modifying any other stack components. •To update to the latest version, download it from github.
•Decompress the file and copy the content inside invoice-ninja-v(version) to installdir/apps/invoiceninja/htdocs except storage folder.
•Copy strage folder content to installdir/apps/invoiceninja/storage.
•Go to installdir/apps/invoiceninja/htdocs.
•Add the next line in bootstrap/app.php , above ‘return $app;’ line (change installdir properly)

$app->useStoragePath(’/installdir/apps/invoiceninja/storage’);
•Execute:
./installdir/php/bin/composer self-update
./installdir/php/bin/composer install
./installdir/php/bin/php artisan migrate
./installdir/php/bin/php artisan cache:clear

here at the last step it says to execute these commands, install dir is opt/bitnami, when I do, I get error that composer does not exsist.

A blank page often means a permissions problem, can you check the web server error logs for more details.

Where do I find these logs?

It may be /var/log/apache2/error.log

Its a permissions issue as you stated. I backed up my good configuration, blew out the newer version and I am now recopying it over. What permissions should be used on the folder structure? I believe the web server user is bitnami, but I also see a www-data user as well.

[Tue Apr 12 17:17:37.808041 2016] [proxy_fcgi:error] [pid 15690:tid 140120689469184] [client 67.78.214.194:59810] AH01071: Got error 'PHP message: PHP Fatal error: Uncaught exception ‘UnexpectedValueException’ with message ‘The stream or file “/opt/bitnami/apps/invoiceninja/htdocs/storage/logs/laravel-info.log” could not be opened: failed to open stream: Permission denied’

There is more but this pretty much tells the issue.

Permissions specifics are here: https://www.invoiceninja.com/self-host/#step2