Unable to get self-hosted installation working

I’ve been unable to get our self-hosted installation working on HostGator, using the guide found here: http://blog.catsinja.com/2018/10/setup-invoice-ninja-on-hostgator-shared/

I was getting “Whoops, looks like something went wrong.” I adjusted the permissions on the folder at oursite.com/invoice/public and now navigating there gives the response: “Sorry, that didn’t work.
Please try again or come back later.
500 Error. Internal Server Error.”

I’m not a developer and have no experience with this type of installation or web server configuration. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Better yet, anyone want to get this running as a small side project for us?

Are there any details in storage/logs/laravel-error.log

That folder exists, but is empty. There is no error log file.

Are there any errors in the web server error logs?

Not that I can see, but I honestly am not even sure where to check. I went to the hostgator cPanel and opened “Errors” and it is blank.

I’m not sure, you may want to ask your webhost for help tracking down the error logs.

I was able to locate a file named error_log in the folders. I have the same error occurring repeatedly:

[13-May-2019 01:16:59 UTC] PHP Warning: Uncaught ErrorException: require(/home2/qjy5v2jj/public_html/invoice/vendor/jlapp/swaggervel/src/Jlapp/Swaggervel/…/…/config/swaggervel.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home2/qjy5v2jj/public_html/invoice/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Support/ServiceProvider.php:59
Stack trace:
#0 /home2/qjy5v2jj/public_html/invoice/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Support/ServiceProvider.php(59): Illuminate\Foundation\Bootstrap\HandleExceptions->handleError(2, ‘require(/home2/…’, ‘/home2/qjy5v2jj…’, 59, Array)
#1 /home2/qjy5v2jj/public_html/invoice/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Support/ServiceProvider.php(59): require()
#2 /home2/qjy5v2jj/public_html/invoice/vendor/jlapp/swaggervel/src/Jlapp/Swaggervel/SwaggervelServiceProvider.php(43): Illuminate\Support\ServiceProvider->mergeConfigFrom(’/home2/qjy5v2jj…’, ‘swaggervel’)
#3 /home2/qjy5v2jj/public_html/invoice/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Foundation/Application.php(574): Jlapp\Swaggervel\SwaggervelServiceP in /home2/qjy5v2jj/public_html/invoice/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Support/ServiceProvider.php on line 59

I was able to track down these errors finally! For some reason, there were several files that just didn’t show in the web server, even though they transferred through FTP. I copied them over again manually, and it allowed me to complete the setup!

Nice, glad to hear it’s working!