Treating a report like one huge Invoice

Hi,

I am working with a friend to set up Invoice Ninja for our company, and some basic set up is escaping us… from what I can tell, based on a short time of use with the Self-Hosted version (installed on a Webuzo-based VPS), Invoices are assigned to clients and contain products and from there you get the totals. What my friend was doing was treating an invoice as a JOB ASSIGNMENT, and the main billing was done via a report (master invoice) each month.

This may have been covered, but is there any way to simply use the invoice like I described above, and actually bill based on the Invoice Ninja monthly report at the end of a given period? And, how can this be automated? Right now, it does not look like a report can be emailed to a client; it’s just for internal use. Am I wrong?

Would it be better to use TASKS for what I am looking to accomplish?

Tall order it may be, but if anyone has any suggestions, I’ll gladly take them!

Thanks,
Joe

I’m not sure if tasks would work, they’re mainly used to track time.

You could click ‘View statement’ on the client overview page to get a total of open invoices however the client would need to pay each invoice individually.

You could click ‘View statement’ on the client overview page to get a total of open invoices however the client would need to pay each invoice individually.

But then is there a way to automate the sending of the statement? Or, must I download a PDF and attach it to an individual e-mail myself?

Is there any way to do what I originally proposed in my first post? We’re basically batching the invoices as jobs, and sending one large statement for payment at the end of the month… could there be a PAY ALL button implemented down the road?

ALSO – can I add a destination address on the invoice, in the case of a delivery type of job? I know there are areas for custom fields, but how custom can you get?

We don’t support automatically sending a statement, you’d need to manually email it.

It’s possible it will be added but it would be difficult to implement.

You could either use custom fields or use a custom design and add the shipping address fields. Note: the shipping address is currently stored with the client, not the invoice.

Is there a way to add the ship from and ship to custom address fields anywhere else other than within the invoice line item? I’d like to place them on the top or header of the invoice because every invoice/job’s line items will be for a job that was shipped from and to a specific place.

Note I already tried adding the (only 2???) custom fields I could find to the line item - I called them SHIP FROM and SHIP TO … but I don’t think that will ultimately work. Also is there a way to modify the width of the fields?

You could use a custom design to add the shipping fields in the header

Hillel,

Excuse my ignorance, but where do I begin to create a custom design? Do you mean go into the INVOICE DESIGN area, click CUSTOMIZE DESIGN, and work with the style sheet? And remember I don’t want the ship from and ship to addresses to be taken from a client’s data. I need to make a NEW independent field. The clients we bill are the ones that use our service to ship from and ship to various destinations; we are a courier similar to UPS without the logistical overhead. We need to generate a single invoice or job that shows a CLIENT NAME/ADDRESS, etc. as well as a separate SHIP FROM and SHIP TO address, and the usual line items denoting what was shipped, or what packaging was used.

Yes, that’s what I was referring to.

In that case you’d need to use the custom fields, they can also be used in a custom design.

OK, can you point me in the right direction in terms of a guide to modify the deign to include the custom addresses I need? I cannot find anything in the code where it’s even pulling the client address as a reference.

If you’ve created an invoice when you click ‘Help’ you’ll see the invoice object structure.

For the client’s address you’d use $client.address1, $client.address2, etc.

Remember I don’t WANT TO USE THE CLIENT ADDRESS DATA.

I do need TWO address “blocks”, but the data for them can and will be entered manually at invoice creation. I just need to make a spot for them right above the line items.

So in my case, would I use the NAMES of my custom fields as variables, such as $shipfrom and $shipto, or is it $custom1, $custom2. Help…

In that case you’d want to use $customTextValue1 and $customTextValue2

And there are only two custom fields I could use in total? I actually need a minimum of 6 fields per address.

That’s correct, the app supports two custom invoice fields.

Then I can’t do what I want, can I? Unless each field can be specified as a large text BOX, can they?
I already have the custom fields available without going into the design code… I thought that the purpose of the custom design was to make something that was NOT predefined.

I agree, I don’t think it will be a good solution.

After all that back and forth??? Wow… while I appreciate the quick responses, this turned out to be a total waste of my time.

If you’re able to keep the ship from fixed then you could use both custom fields for the ship to address.

If the ship from does change you’d need to create a new client record.

Not sure if that helps…

I understand, but no… the client address which normally appears at the top of the invoice is who we are billing. Then THEY are shipping goods from a certain address TO a certain address. So, both are variable. I asked a question earlier that you didn’t answer? Can the custom fields’ width or size attributes be changed?