Question about how generated numbers work

These are my settings for “Generated numbers” - this is a migration from IN v4 to v5.

BUT when I visit “Recurring invoices” I only see the “counter” in the “number” column. Will this only be set according to my settings when the invoices will be sent out?

If I look at past invoices, this is correct but those were import during the migration from v4 to v5.

The recurring invoice number pattern is used for the recurring invoice number, not the standard invoices it generates.

I’m sorry I am not following you. Let me try and clarify your reply.

The recurring invoice number pattern is used for the recurring invoice number

OK, where can I see it then?

not the standard invoices it generates.

What is then used for these?

If you create another recurring invoice it will use the new recurring invoice number pattern. You probably see 001 to 012 because the data was migrated before the pattern was set.

I think I understand.
I seem to have understood that when these recurring invoices will be triggered and create a regular invoice the created invoices will be the patter set up under Settings => Generated Numbers => Invoices and have a prefix of “R” as setup under Settings => Generated Numbers => Settings => Recurring Prefix.

So the remaining issue is just that the recurring invoices are now listed by the “wrong” pattern. I guess I can live with that as it is a display problem only.

I just fired up my old v4 instance and it looks like recurring invoices didn’t have a separate naming pattern. This explains it :slight_smile:

Thanks for your patience!

1 Like