Is it better to create Groups or Companies to manage separate brands?

I manage two divisions with slightly different branding. Should I create two Companies and add the clients to one side or the other? Or use groups?

I’ll be migrating from v4. Is it possible to move a Client from one Company to another Company?

In testing with groups, it looks like only some of the fields are capable of overriding the Company values. When I try to set a “Company Name” in a group on the demo, I can override each of the address values but cannot override the company name.

When overriding addresses for a Group, if a field like Apt is filled in on the main company, that value shines through if the Group doesn’t have an Apt.

I’m wondering if separate Companies would be the cleanest answer. What are the limitations of separate Companies versus Groups?

Hi,

It depends… with companies the data is completely separate whereas with groups the data is kept together.

The app doesn’t support moving clients between companies but you may be able to export/import the data.

It could be a bug, with groups you definitely should be able to override the company name. That’s an interesting problem. @david, what do you think about using a . to support setting a blank value?

With companies all settings can be unique where as with groups most settings can be configured. The non-available settings are hidden when a group or client is selected.

bug, it is fixed now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well gosh that was fast! Thanks @David.

@hillel So if there’s any situation where I might want to change a client’s affiliation in the future, a Group would be more flexible as a Company is a permanent affiliation.

Very helpful info, and my thanks to both of you.

That’s a good point. Yes, groups can also be helpful to adjust settings for multiple clients at once.