Install InvoiceNinja on HostGator (Shared)

I’ve changed the folder permissions to 755, 777, 750 and I still get the same error.

The error mentions ‘file’ permissions not ‘folder’ permissions.

OK. I’ll check that, but prior to attempting site access during extraction of the ZIP the error log was completely blank. Let me check the file permissions and get back to you.

Permissions changed to 777 and then back to 775 - same internal error with 500 error as listed above.

Unpack the zip on your local PC and upload the files with an ftp client.

OK - trying that now - will reply when it’s done.

Files queued in FileZilla - uploading the 30,000+ files now. This may take a bit - which is why I uploaded the ZIP and extracted it. Much faster that way - took about 3 minutes. Will post back once done and see if it works.

Yeah, it takes a while, but more reliable than using the built in file manager to extract them.

Talk about a while. I’ts been over an hour and still have 24,975 files left - down to 144MB from 400+MB - but wow. I think this is why I originally uploaded the ZIP and extracted.

2+ hours and going. Wow…

Hi all. On the road. Remote connection from phone showed transfers done. Accessing ninja.mysite.com gives the error below while mysite.com/ninja or mysite.com/ninja/public both reflect the main site. As I’m not by a PC or laptop I won’t be able to do any changes to any of the files yet. Will post back once I do.

Not Found
The requested URL /mobile/index.html was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache Server at ninja.catsinja.com Port 80

There is a permissions error, you are getting the /mobile/index.html error because your using your mobile.

I suspect your setup to redirect any mobile traffic to /mobile/

That was an attempt after the upload. I left it and went on the road. Took 3 or 4 hours to complete whereas the ZIP took under 3 minutes.

Once I saw the transfers done when I remote connected to my PC from my phone, I just tried to connect to the site. I’ve not changed any setting as yet. Not modified the .env or .htaccess files yet.

You don’t need to modify the env on a fresh install.

You need to check the permissions.

OK. What should I be looking for? 755 on the folders and 644 on the files?

Also the mobile redirect may be something within Ninja. The only thing I did on the cPanel side was setup a redirect for mysite.com/ninja/public to ninja.mysite.com.

The redirect is not from ninja.

If you access your site.com/ninja/public

You get a parse error, this could be a php version issue, try changing the php version in cpanel.

OK. Still on my phone but managed to change to 7.1 for both /ninja and /ninja/public. Let me know if you see any changes. Thanks in advance.

That’s you ready to setup.

Go to yoursite.com/ninja/public

All you need now is to uncomment the rewrite rule in .htaccess to remove /public

Ninja.yoursite.com/public also works.

OK. Thanks a lot! I’m probably going to do it over using this as reference to ensure that others finding this - or having similar issues - will be able to get it done. I’ll check it shortly. Still on the road.

OK. Checked from phone and all its doing is reflecting the main site. Will check from PC in another hour or less.

OK so from a PC I get to the setup URL - so that’s good. I’m having issues when I change these settings below. The site no longer becomes accessible. Since it was working before I’m gonna reload the original .htaccess files and try again. I want to do the setup from scratch and document the process but this last curveball is a little annoying.

*public_html/ninja/.htaccess
FROM

RewriteRule ^(.*)$ public/$1 [L]

TO
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ public/$1 [L]

*public_html/ninja/public/.htaccess
FROM

RewriteBase /

TO
RewriteBase /

Yeah - it looks like once you get it up and working you shouldn’t mess with the settings. I’m probably going to do it over soon as I said - but going to try and troubleshoot these a bit first.

ninja.mysite.com gives:

Forbidden
You don’t have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

http://ninja.catsinja.com/public which redirects to http://ninja.catsinja.com/public/setup gives:
Not Found
The requested URL /index.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Thanks so very much guys @billyggla & @Hillel Coren.

So far it’s up and working. Going to do the documentation and then post a link.