How to create a payment on account in advance?

Sorry I don’t understand, can you please explain your question?

The selected payment type doesn’t have any effect, it just categorizes the payments.

So it knows to act differently to process a credit note, as it looks like you need an invoice to put a credit against.
As there’s no invoice (client pre-paying 1 year’s worth of monthly invoices), then the payment type can be used to process the credit, as a credit is a negative value invoice in effect., else the credit seems useless as it can’t be acted upon without an invoice.

How does an overpayment work ? as there’s a setting for “Allow Overpayment” this would be a credit too…

@david if you understand can you please reply?

The “allow overpayment” option is for the client portal, when your client is making a payment they’re able to pay extra (ie. to include a tip).

If a client pays £10 more on an invoice in their portal by accident, then it’s not treated as a credit and therefore not show on their balance ?

This is a very good application, but as you have a client’s/customer balance, then taking care of pre-payments, overpayments,credits must show on their balance & statement, I guess it’s the same for vendors/suppliers.
I see the db tables are capable of holding the info, perhaps it can be added in the future.

I can track a bank transaction against a payment, but not the payment/credit to the balance of an account, without an invoice…
So a customer can only see credits in their portal and not on their statement until they have an invoice against the credits.

We don’t show credits on statements as yet, we’ll add this as an option.

In regards to which payments show on the statement. Only payments associated with the invoices within the statement window are included. This allows the statement to balance out correctly.

If you need additional data to show on the statement such as credit / payment amounts that are not used this would be a separate table we would need to implement.