Context for translation

Hi,

I’m actually finishing updating the translation of fr_CA locale. I have a few questions :
There is a few hardcoded string left

"Showing x to x of x entries" is one of it Is it possible to translate month names ? Actually, they are all in english whatever lang activated.

In order to complete the translation, I would need some context for a few strings for which I can’t find any ref on the app (maybe some future features !!)

Use Card on File Original start date New start date This invoice will automatically be billed to your :payment_method on file on :due_date. This invoice will automatically be billed to your credit card on file on the due date. Use Bank on File This invoice will automatically be billed to the payment method on file on the due date. :type on file I currently support:<br/>• Create\update\email an invoice<br/>• List products<br/>For example:<br/><i>invoice bob for 2 tickets, set the due date to next thursday and the discount to 10 percent</i>

and for this one, I’m not sure about :complete_link meaning

:link to sign up for 2Checkout.com. To ensure payments are tracked set :complete_link as the redirect URL under Account > Site Management in the 2Checkout portal.

BTW, the reworked nav is awesome, Thanks a lot.

Maybe a few more strings :

Client name,” in /settings/templates_and_reminders > Email templates section

Group by” in /settings/data_visualizations > in front of the dropdown menu

View” in /settings/data_visualizations > in the hover activated tooltips

Everything in /settings/system_settings

I don’t know if it’s the right place to bring these infos ? Can’t find the proper place in Transifex !!

Thanks

And some more

Guest” in the user menu (upper right)

Last 7 days, last 30 days, … + Apply & Cancel buttons” in the date selection dropdown menu on the dashboard

Terms in /terms.

Words which start with a semicolon (ie :link) should be left untranslated, they’re variables which will be replaced by the code.

If a word is in the texts list but not in the code it’s likely the string is no longer used.

Thanks Hillel,

I do understand the meaning and use of words beginning with a semcolon. What I’m not sure of is the context of such words and sentence.

Actually, what I’m looking for is where in the app are you using sentences like :
:payment_method on file (what the on file refers to ?)
credit card on file
Use Card on File

so I can translate them correctly

The words I pointed out above in bold are words that are present in the app but not in the texts.php file. That’s why I point them out ;). Any chance they could be inserted in texts.php for translation purpose ?

I suppose it’s not such a big deal for english speaking person to have a few words in english wandering around.
If you intend to offer your app for reselling purpose, there is a great chance that you will have non english speaking customers. They will be looking for a perfected translated solution or they will go elsewhere. That’s what I do when I’m looking for an app. I must admit that I choose Invoice Ninja over Waveapp for this specific reason.

Thanks for you excellent work

Can you provide an example which isn’t in texts.php, the ones I checked seem to be there.

Ok,

You are correct, most of them are in texts.php (my bad), but there are some places in the app these words are still hardcoded and thus don’t return the word in french. Here again what seems the most complete list of these words and where in the app they are problematic:

Showing x to x of x entries” at the bottom of most lists

Client name,” in /settings/templates_and_reminders > Email templates section

Group by” in /settings/data_visualizations > in front of the dropdown menu

View” in /settings/data_visualizations > in the hover activated tooltips

Everything in /settings/system_settings

Guest” in the user menu (upper right)

Last 7 days, last 30 days, … + Apply & Cancel buttons” in the date selection dropdown menu on the dashboard

Terms in /terms

Months name everywhere (ex Apr instead of Avr, Aug instead of Aou,…)

Could you give some in context for the “… on file” expression ? I’m not quite what it does mean and can’t find where it is used in the app.

Thanks

There are a number of different reasons why these problems exists, in some cases the string is hard coded but others are due to our implementation of third party libraries.

We’ve been fixing these issues over time but clearly there are still many places that need to be corrected. If you’re a coder we gladly accept pull requests :slight_smile:

The ‘on file’ text is used in the ‘Pay Now’ button in the client portal if the client has a credit card or bank account on file.

Thanks for the answers,

I’m not really a coder. I can read it and understand parts of it but can’t write :frowning:
I can have a look and trying pulling some request.
If not, is it something you actually plan to do ?

Thanks for the " … on file" in context. That will help me finding the best translation.

We plan to do everything, it’s just a matter of when.

Our current priorities are listed on our Trello board:

https://trello.com/b/63BbiVVe/invoice-ninja

I’d like to add country names as well. The country name on the dashboard in the client portal shows the English name instead of the localized name of the country.

Thanks for letting us know, we’ll include a fix in a future release.