Can numbering on invoices and recurring invoices use the same counter?

Am I correct in understanding that Ninja uses a different counter for recurring invoices and one-off invoices?

I am not sure what the rationale is around that (I’m sure there must be a good reason for it), but in my usage scenario I’m accustomed to not differentiating between recurring invoices and one-off invoices when it comes to their numbering. They are, ultimately, just invoices going out to customers (one type the system generates automatically, the other the merchant generates manually), so I can see that for many users it’s not helpful to have two different counters running, and totally out of sync with each other. Any time an invoice number is referenced (say in a payment, or a customer enquiry), there’s two completely different numbering systems to track, instead of just one.

Is there a way to have just the one?

If not, can I suggest this as a feature? Perhaps similar to the “Shared invoice quote number” switch. E.g., “Shared invoice and recurring invoice counter”.

Hi,

Recurring invoice numbers aren’t actual invoices, they’re a template used to generate an actual invoice.

Okay. That’s good to know.
Would you please explain what the Recurring Invoice related Number Pattern and Number Counter do? I assumed those settings were there because Recurring Invoices had their own independent Counter and Pattern, which ends up on the invoice. Am I correct in now thinking this Counter and Pattern is only seen on the back-end by the admin, and has no impact on the resulting invoice numbers seen by clients?

Invoice and recurring invoices each have their own number/pattern.

When a recurring invoice runs and generates an invoice it uses the invoice number/pattern.

1 Like

Great. Glad to hear it.

1 Like