Buy Now Recurring Invoices Annoyance

Just a thought guys…

I’m using “Buy Now” buttons for hosting services and it works perfectly. Just one annoyance though…

If someone clicks a “Buy Now” button but DOES NOT buy I get a recurring invoice in the system that I have to then delete.

Would it be possible to set the invoice to “Draft” perhaps until they pay…?

Thanks, it’s a good suggestion. I’ll look into it…

Appreciated.

I had about 20 in one day, I just deleted them but then had to delete the recurring invoices too so it was a bit of an annoyance more than anything.

This will be included with our next release, here’s the change if you want to patch your install.

https://github.com/invoiceninja/invoiceninja/commit/e617e9260332d0f8985b1024bea804eabcccc28c

Thanks again, this behavior is much better!

Happy to wait Hillel and really grateful for the product, you’ve saved me hours and hours of coding :wink:

Sorry, can you explain how this solves the problem ? I am using the latest version and this is definitely still occurring.

I have tried as invoice and payment (not sure what the difference is) and this occurs. It generates the invoice and multiple recurring invoices.

Is there a solution for this ?

There is no solution to prevent the invoice from being generated, this change just makes the invoices draft rather than sent.

Thanks for responding. I am looking to allow people to sign up to my weekly product. they enter their details and click buy now. However every time that page loads - it creates a new invoice - so hundreds of invoices are made each day ?

I am currently testing with Stripe testing cards and testing API -secrets etc.

Is there not a way to create a recurring invoice from a purchase that is only initiated once someone purchases the product ?

Also when the “Buy Now” button is clicked the button freezes but there is no “modal” or pop-up directing the user to wait while the transaction is processed.

It’s a limitation of the “buy now” feature, you’d need to use the API or a tool like Zapier to create the recurring invoices on demand.

Not sure I follow, you would need to implement your own progress indicator.

Thanks for your time. Cron is running. I will start with the API.
Thanks again.

Ok, sorry just realised - if you are relying on cron jobs to send reminder emails, how are the recurring billings carried out with stripe ?

The recurring scheduled is defined in Invoice Ninja, not in Stripe.

Hi thanks for answering . I did not make myself very clear sorry. Recurring invoices are automatically debited from peoples accounts I presume, how is this process initiated from Invoice Ninja ? Does it require a cron job ? If not - how is it tracking the date time ? If it does require a cron job which one handles it ?

Understood. The app uses a cron, the details are listed here:

https://docs.invoiceninja.com/configure.html

Ok so just to be 100% clear. If I am self hosting and I have set up these two cron jobs, then recurring automatic billing will occur via Stripe.

0 8 * * * /usr/local/bin/php /path/to/ninja/artisan ninja:send-invoices
0 8 * * * /usr/local/bin/php /path/to/ninja/artisan ninja:send-reminders

Those are both set up and running - so this will ensure payments are automatically made ?

Sorry to be specific. And again appreciate you answering my questions.

It should…

Note: you need to change the path to your actual folder

Ok great - thanks. All operational.

1 Like