[Bug report] UTF-8 issues with the translated labels

I installed Invoice Ninja v5.2.7-C51 installed by Scriptaculous on a shared hosting. When I change the language to Croatian and then visit the following “Preview” page at: https://localhost/public/index.php?clear_cache=true#/settings/templates_and_reminders, the diacritics are gone within the translated text. Instead of a normal š, I could see a weirdly accented character that should not be there:

I guess the issue is due to embedding the content within the IFRAME, where UTF-8 is not well defined. I could replicate the same behavior on the Demo site.

Hi,

Thank for reporting this!

I assume this is in the preview, do you see the problem when sending a test email?

cc @david @ben

Yes, that’s in the Preview. I didn’t try to send a test mail yet, but as soon as I test it I will report here.

@Jazz

Could you please confirm the collation type in your invoice ninja database please?

USE db_name; SELECT @@character_set_database, @@collation_database;
@@character_set_database @@collation_database
utf8mb4 utf8mb4_0900_ai_ci

Surprisingly, when I check the View Frame Source, those characters are displayed correctly:

Za pregled vašeg računa na 20.027,01 HRK, kliknite donju poveznicu.

PREGLED RAČUNA

@ben are you able to replicate this?

Thanks for reporting, I will check it and get back to you :+1:

I just tested my emails and the issue doesn’t appear to be there. Only within the IFRAME (Preview) I guess.