Best CACHE_DRIVER/SESSION_DRIVER

Hi,

I am wondering which CACHE_DRIVER/SESSION_DRIVER is best. The default is obviously file, is it better to set it ro redis if there is a redis server running anyways or is there no performance benefit in doing so?

Hi,

Redis is technically faster however I’m not sure you’ll see much of a difference with selfhost app since the usage is so low. If you’d like to speed up the app other options are:

• Enable the queue
  • Use the desktop app
  • Change to the React web app
1 Like

On the topic of the React web app does it convert data or is it just a different front end?

It’s a different frontend, it can be used alongside the Flutter app

What exactly is the benefit of enabling the queue? The docs mention

This cron will start a queue worker every 5 minutes and run any jobs that are in the queue and then gracefully terminate itself. This means any emails / notification may be queued for a small period of time prior to executing. If this amount of delay is acceptable, it is a great way to get queue’s working on shared hosting.

So does that mean the queue only affects emails/notification or what exactly is queued? One of the “issues” I am experiencing is that creating a Client, an invoice, a payment and an expense through the API takes a few seconds to complete. Creating the invoice takes about 1 second, but creating the payment takes about 5-10 seconds. The invoice is not sent via email and I don’t have notifications enabled. Now that you mentioned this I was wondering if it would improve that aswell.

I’ll also use redis just because I have it already installed and I am using it for something else aswell.

Enabling the queue effects the speed of all actions. I can attest to the much improved function after switching.